Tuesday, April 8, 2014

Review - Mud Vein - Tarryn Fisher




TITLE - Mud Vein

AUTHOR - Tarryn Fisher


Synopsis:

When reclusive novelist Senna Richards wakes up on her thirty-third birthday, everything has changed. Caged behind an electrical fence, locked in a house in the middle of the snow, Senna is left to decode the clues to find out why she was taken. If she wants her freedom, she has to take a close look at her past. But, her past has a heartbeat... and her kidnapper is nowhere to be found. With her survival hanging by a thread, Senna soon realizes this is a game. A dangerous one. Only the truth can set her free.






Links to buy and Goodreads, but be aware of reviews before reading. If spoilers are present it will spoil this book.



My Review:



So, I succumbed to the madness that has been Mud Vein. It's all anybody has been talking about this week. I had never read a Tarryn Fisher book before Mud Vein. I had The Opportunist on my 'To Read' pile for ages, so I knew of her but I hadn't heard about Mud Vein till all the craziness started. 
I went on to read the description and didn't really feel any more the wiser for having read it. So I guess I was going into it blank, as I hadn't been reading the reviews already out. I had read a snippet from Tarryn, stating what she wanted the readers to get out of the book, but that didn't really enlighten me just made me all the the more curious. So, I jumped in head first and started this bizarre trip down an exceedingly dark road where I just knew my head would be messed with for the duration. 

The story starts straight at the action, no preliminary background of characters or their stories. No easing in gently to what is going to be a very turbulent reading experience. Senna Richards, a semi recluse Author hits her 33rd birthday, she is successful, attractive, and extremely closed off. The start kicks straight off with her waking up from what would appear to be a drug haze. She is in totally unfamiliar surroundings and freezing cold. 


Now this is one of those stories where, I really can't and don't want to say too much about it without there being spoilers. Giving away a story like this would ruin it, you have to go in blind and have no idea where it is going. I think that held a huge attraction to me, I had no idea what was coming or the outcome, or if it even had a HEA. I knew nothing. To be honest, if someone had summarised this story as being a thriller, a suspense or even a psychological mind messer. I probably wouldn't have read it. I don't normally go for genres like that as I don't get a great deal out of them. Trouble is, I don't think you could put this book into just one category. It had elements of so many different genres, and I couldn't really pinpoint one as being more predominant. 

So, anyway I can't say a great deal about the actual story but what I will say is, firstly; The writing was amazing, It was written so well I could feel everything the characters felt, pain, hurt, anguish. It was all so clear, concise, and easy to get absorbed into. When you break it down, there's no prettiness, flowery words and silly pet names. It's everything you need and no more, to understand what they were going through. Hard to explain unless you read it. The intelligent thought that went into the planning of this story floors me, every little detail was perfect. It all had it's place in the big picture, so that coming to the end, the only word you can utter is "wow", while your brain tries to piece back together.


The characters were brilliant. I felt like there was no way I could understand and relate to Senna, It didn't matter though, the journey had me accepting her for who she was, I understood certain elements about her but the rest was a mystery. Isaac, I loved. Right from the start, he was so perfect for Senna. It was killing me that she didn't accept it. Wouldn't allow herself to accept it. He was always there for her, every single time. Plus, he certainly is the absolute best person to have around in a crisis. I just wanted to keep feeling so sorry for Senna and everything she went through and what was thrown at her, yet I don't think she was the sort of person who wanted to be felt sorry for. The pity felt wrong somehow. 


To say the story and the characters left an impression on me, is an understatement. I've been walking around in a daze since I finished it. I can't get my head around it, I don't think I'll try. I just feel like someone just put my head through a washing machine, and I'm left all weird. If leaving a dark imprint was part of it's purpose, then it definitely worked. I will still be sat here thinking about this book for quite some time. 

If you like to feel like you're constantly on edge, having to question every little detail. Plus constantly holding your breath and wiping the leakages from hopefully just your eyes, and not your nose as well. Then this book is perfect for you. It will leave a dark and depressing imprint on you, but in a incredible, questioning everything way. If your hoping for the perfect ending to make everything seem happy, so you can be at peace with the dark parts. It's not going to happen, at least it didn't for me. Yet, I understood why it had to be that way. If you manage to get through it without feeling like poo, then well done, I'm still sat here looking stupid even now. 


Amazing, well earned 5 stars. This Author writes so beautifully I now know I have to go and read her others books to see if the impact is the same.

No comments:

Post a Comment