Friday, May 16, 2014

Review - Out Of Reach - Missy Johnson

 


**I was given a copy of this book in exchange for a fair and honest review**


4.5 Blubbery Stars.
WOW! Ok, well that was ugly. That being me! Crying and sniveling from the first couple of pages!! I knew this was going to be a bad idea, I'm a complete mess if someone was to trip and bang their head in a book, So how was i supposed to handle that!!
Right from the first pages of Out of Reach the pain is sky high. We already know Andy is dying, I knew that from the description. I thought that knowing what this entailed would help me to read it without the element of surprise making me sad. No chance! Andy, explains right off that he has been battling this disease for years. His loyal, gorgeous and amazing girlfriend Emily has been with him since they were teens. They hung out as kids in an amazingly tight friendship with Seth, Andy's best friend. The three of them were inseparable and went through everything together. Andy and Em end up as a couple, although Seth has always harbored feelings for Em too. Andy and Seth are such close friends that it's never mentioned. So through out the all this, Andy battles through illness and his 2 closest friends stick by him throughout. Yet this time at 26, he has been told it's terminal. So, that brings us to the story at present and what follows is how Andy wants to spend what time he has left, of course with the 2 people he loves the most. Being that we know from the start how bad off Andy is, means there is no surprises. It's more of a story of friendship and love and how they all help each other in different ways, to cope yet also how to enjoy the time they have. It really is such a lovely story yet so brutal and real at the same time. The worst part was, it kept making me think how i would deal if it was me in any of the characters places. Thus making me even more tearful. I don't think i stopped crying at all, it couldn't of been a pleasant picture. The characters were all fantastic and the style was perfect, brutal details and honest feelings. Just how I like it. This is obviously one of those books with a huge 'moral of the story' type feeling to it. It does make you look at things and evaluate your own relationships. I think it is showing the hope at the end of it. That Em and Seth could still live on and be happy even when they think it could never happen. I read this all last night in between 2 totally different types of genres and it was a refreshing yet sad break. Fantastic book!

No comments:

Post a Comment