Wednesday, October 1, 2014

Review - Live for Today (Spring Island Trilogy #2) - Sandra Steiner




This was something completely new and different for me. I don't normally read this type of book, but felt quite intrigued by the description, so decided to give it a go.

We're told the story of Lily, a woman who has suffered with nightmares and many gaps in her memory for so long. The not knowing her past and who she is, plays on her mind and stops her from settling in life.
Lily decides it's time to actively find out what she can about herself, and leaves the peaceful familiarity of the picturesque coastal town of Seaside. She is traveling back to where she grew up, with her adoptive parents. She takes a job for some extra money, as a carer for a woman who has been ill. She goes on to make firm and close friends with the lady, and her daughter.

In her spare time, Lily seeks out as much info as she can about herself. Making new friends and close connections along the way. There is some huge shockers and revelations along the way. I loved the tense moments and the anticipation along Lily's journey. The possibilities of what could of been in her past, left me on the edge of my seat wondering.

I absolutely loved how the writing painted such beautiful pictures of the places within this story. From the quaint and peaceful 'Seaside' town, to the huge stately home with all its secrets and history, that Lily spends a huge amount of time in. I also loved the colourful characters. From Olivia and Sophie, two of Lily's new friends that end up sticking in her life. To Joy, another special person she met along the way.

Considering it was written in 3rd person, it had a lot of life and feeling, that normally I can't seem to feel when reading a book in 3rd POV. Without the actual conversations and internal thoughts, it can be hard to feel everything as strongly. Yet, I did get a good feeling from the beautiful writing in this book. I felt hooked on the story from the start and I loved discovering all the secrets of Lily's past.

Towards the end of this book, everything started to unravel and truths were found. It would seem everyone had found their own piece of happiness in one way or another. I did feel a little sad towards the end, as I felt not all the questions had been answered, there was still some gaps. The whole story had flowed perfectly, then all of a sudden within a couple of pages the end had come up out of nowhere. I was checking to see if I had missed a page or 2. Which was a shame as it could of continued on in my opinion. Apart from that, I loved the overall direction of this book and where it ended up. It was a truly lovely story and it captivated me from the start. I'm glad I stepped out of my comfort zone and read this. A beautifully written story and a lovely tale.


**I was given a copy of this book in exchange for a fair and honest review**

No comments:

Post a Comment