Sunday, September 11, 2016

REVIEW - Torn by Carian Cole

Torn
Carian Cole




Synopsis


He’s loved me since the day I was born. 

He’s taken care of me. 
He’s awakened me. 

Tor. My father’s best friend. 
Fifteen years older than me, he’s always been my protector. 
The one I should never, ever want. 
But I was born to be his. 

She’s always loved me. 
She’s shattered me. 
She’s healed me.

Kenzi. My best friend’s daughter. 
I held her the day she was born, and I never let go. 
She’s forbidden to me. But she’s the only one that really gets me. 
We’re slowly being torn apart by everything we love. 
Everything we want. 
Everything we desire. 

And now I want the one thing I can’t have... I want her. 


Our Review

Torn blew my mind. I was a little skeptical about the topic at first, but I am very happy with the results of the book. I love Carian Cole as a writer. She is brilliant. She writes characters in a way that readers can relate to and she is not afraid to write about topics that bring a seriousness to her books. She has the perfect balance between light and darkness in her books. I absolutely love reading books by her.
The plot of this book can be seen as controversial. When reading the blurb, I was equally confused yet intrigued. A man falling in love with his best friend’s daughter. It is a really rough concept to come to terms with. As the book starts we are introduced to these characters. If you have read Carian’s other books, you have already met some of these characters.  As the book progresses, we as readers are able to really fall in love with this couple and begin to root for them to make it. It shows that Carian is a great writer to make people empathize with the characters, even if it might be hard for readers to imagine doing something similar.
This book is a standalone in a series all its own, but it really added a lot to her other series as well. We find out a whole lot more about Asher, which is to be expected since the book is about his daughter. Asher has been quite a mystery to us readers and it was nice to get to see him from the point of view of someone who sees him in a unique way. We also get to know about Ember, Asher’s wife. She has been a complete mystery in the Ashes & Embers series.
These characters are developed really wonderfully throughout the book. They really have a tough time, even more so than most other books I have read. I think that the main conflict within the book effects them both so deeply that I feel they have so much more than most couples to lose. It would seem obvious that Kenzi had to develop the most, but I actually found her to be wonderful from the beginning. She did have some growing to do, but not like most people would think. On the other hand, Tor grew a lot throughout this book. I feel he had most to figure out from his life. I feel he was one who was so used to just surviving that he wasn’t really living life. This was something he had to reflect on and make changes.
If you are looking for heat in a book, this one is a scorcher. These two characters have such a palpable chemistry that you can almost see the sparks flying off the pages. Their scenes together are so hot and raw that it made my cheeks blush. Carian did an amazing job drawing the reader in and then placing these extremely intimate scenes to make them really fall for these two characters and their relationship. The heat in this book is worth the read. In between all of these hot and intimate moments, Carian also give us sweet and tender. My favorite part of her writing style in this book is the fact that before each chapter, she gives us a short scene to give us further insight into these characters. Each moment really adds to the story.
Overall, I really loved this book. Carian always has a way of inserting serious topics within a wonderfully written novel. I feel she is truly spreading awareness and tolerance to the readers by allowing them to experience certain situations in the comforts of their home, which I honestly hope helps people think about how they would react to similar situations in real life. Too often we hear people making comments about people based on the way they look. I am guilty of it myself, but I feel that by giving us readers an insight into the people we are judging, we may be able to better understand them. Great job Carian. Another wonderful book.
Ratings:
Plot: 5/5
Characters: 5/5
Heat: 5/5
Writing Style: 5/5
Overall:5/5

Favorite Quotes:
“It’s a bit bizarre to think that my mother was pregnant with me, sitting in the same exact classrooms I sit in now. Maybe that’s why I’m so smart-I was in high school in utero.”-Kenzi, Torn
“I live in a deep, dark, perplexing sea of people. Some might be starfish, and some might be sharks. I just bob along on my little raft; watching and learning.”-Kenzi, Torn
“Behave yourself. Being on the bike is serious. This isn’t a big two wheeled vibrator. Pay attention and move your body with mine, okay?”-Tor, Torn



(click cover image below to purchase)

No comments:

Post a Comment