Wednesday, February 3, 2016

REVIEW - Never Trust A Saint - Melissa Jane


TITLE - Never Trust A Saint 

(A Los Santos Cartel Story)

AUTHOR - Melissa Jane





Releases Feb 8th 2016



Synopsis:




A SAINT.
A protector from evil. One who without fear will lead you safely through darkness. 
A LOS SANTOS. 
Cold and ruthless. A CARTEL who cares only for revenge and glory. 
My name is Nina Cross, and I’m the Los Santos’s newest prey. Determined to prove my partners innocence and avenge his violent death, I stumbled naively into the spider’s web. Tangled with lies and hunted for truth I was shadowed with each step I took. That was until one man, relentless in his touch and his desire threatened to bring me to my knees in ways I both craved and feared. 
Jair Ruiz. Powerful, brooding and confident and not at all who he seems. He has me in his sights and has every intention of toying with his newest target while fighting to keep us both alive. 
When the FBI turns it back on you and the Los Santos cartel have already dug your grave, who is there left to trust?
Only one man. A saviour. 
But if I look my saint in the eye and all I see is the devil…do I run?

“I’m not entirely good. I’m not entirely bad. But I’m enough of a little of each to ruin you.”


My Review:



Okay so although I'm kinda on a review break, and I'm kinda on a break from contemp reads, I knew I absolutely HAD to break all that to read Melissa Jane's new dark cartel story. 
I have loved every single one of her darker books, and still have not found anything to compare to them. She manages to make a story absolutely compelling and gripping from as early as the first few pages, which is crazy unusual. So I was very excited to read this one. 

Like I said before, this is a new Cartel story from Melissa, and not part of her previous Bittersweet Familia series. Yet.....there is actually some faint references to a few characters or major players in the other series. But it's not a crossover, just proof that Melissa is able to create a hugely detailed background to her books, and is able to cross many stories together, without it getting confusing. 

Nina Cross is gorgeous, stunning yet not obviously so, as she usually hides it behind a uniform. That of FBI. She and her partner deal with fraud amongst other things, which surprisingly made them a target to a bigger kettle of fish. Just shows how clever the storyline is, that you could make a connection between fraud department and Cartels, but it was done, and after her partner was viciously murdered, and it was covered up by the FBI, Nina is determined to find out what happened, even if it makes her a massive target. 

So Nina ends up bang smack in the middle of an ongoing war between the notorious Los Santos Cartel and the FBI, oh and another Cartel are thrown in now and then. Everywhere she turns, she finds herself in more danger, or someone is trying to either kidnap her or kill her. So she kind of needs help, and fast. 

Which is where extremely hot Jair Ruiz comes in. When I say hot, it's obviously an understatement. What with being dark and brooding, powerful and dangerous, oh and having the incredible Colombian sex on legs gene. He is definitely not a bad person to have around watching out for you. But there is something about him, he even states himself he can't be trusted, but Nina has nobody else. She is on the run, and everyone is after her, she has to put her faith in someone. But is Jair the right person. Hmmmm he certainly can't be the worst. 

As with all of MJ's books, this was incredibly gripping. Seat of your pants type tension. And the heat and chemistry between Nina and Jair was off the charts. It wasn't quite as dark and gritty as the Bittersweet series which I must admit, I do love. But the story and characters held this story perfectly without all the blood and gore etc. So I was more than happy. :)

So all in all, highly recommended. If you love a story with grit, incredible sex, a fantastic thriller that makes you think, and grip your kindle. Then this is the book for you! 
5 huge stars!!











No comments:

Post a Comment