Tuesday, March 1, 2016

REVIEW - Broken Heart - Tammy Faith




TITLE - Broken Heart


AUTHOR - Tammy Faith





Synopsis:



I met Cris when I was five years old. He was my brother's best friend. We started out as friends and eventually evolved to first kiss, first crush, first love. First everything.
I was an innocent little girl. Stupid. Naive. Cris and I promised each other forever.
Right then, we didn't know that promises were so hard to keep. I was corrupted, each piece of me smashed against my foolish and childish wishes. Who would have thought that my boyfriend would become the vivid incarnation of my own personal demon?


Crisanto Tauli and Phoebe Stephen were happy.
Until that day. 
The day she can't seem to remember, and he can't seem to forget. The day that she, ruled by her fears, left him. The day that she broke both of their hearts.
Now she has to face him, and her secrets, once again.

TRIGGER WARNING! DUE TO MATURE CONTENT, THIS BOOK IS NOT RECOMMENDED FOR READERS UNDER THE AGE OF 18.




My Review:


I had no idea what I was getting into when I agreed to review Broken Heart. I can honestly say I never spotted the twists and turns that occurred. 
Broken Heart is Tammy Faith’s first novel. Faith managed to really verbalize the feelings that were needed to get the story across. This book is not for the faint of heart.

Cris has loved one girl and one girl only his whole life. He thought his biggest obstacle would be getting his best friend to accept his feelings feelings towards his sister. Although time proved that thought wrong.

Phoebe wanted Cris from the moment she met him at the ripe ol’ age of five. First she had him as a friend, then at fourteen he became her boyfriend. Then it all came crashing down around them, the only question is why.

I personally adore pet names that are said in a different tongue. For me when I see it written or hear it I instantly swoon. In this book the Author chose Tagalog which was completely new to me. I loved how the couple had a word game. He would give her a new word in Tagalog and give her the definition. They weren't object words, but words of feelings.

Faith did well with the secondary characters. You knew where they all stood, where their feelings were involved. She totally nailed the dynamic between Phoebe and her brother Ty. I didn’t care for Phoebe's best friend Giselle, but I loved how awesome Cris was with his gay best friend Paulie.

As for what I didn't care for, I felt like the flow could have gone better with the dialogue, but that will come with time. Towards the end I felt that there was a lot of jumping in the story that could have been done better, and I started to get confused.

Faith took a taboo topic and put a different twist to it. The trigger warning in the description is accurately placed. 


Here are two good quotes from Broken Heart:

"You are not stuck. You had a breakdown, so what? You deal with it, you grow up, you get better.
You are a work in progress. Cris loves you, and you are enough. He won't give up, because he knows you are worth it."

“Sometimes we need to wander a little to know the darkest corners of our soul, but it's okay. I'm not afraid to stray from the path, because we often find ourselves there too.”



Star Ratings:

Plot- 3/5
Heat- 2/5
Characters- 3/5
Writing style- 2/5
Overall- 3/5






CLICK COVER TO PURCHASE:







No comments:

Post a Comment