Monday, May 22, 2017

REVIEW - Screw You - Kasey Millstead




TITLE - Screw You
AUTHOR - Kasey Millstead










BLURB:


I, Emma Black, am a nerd.  A social outcast.  The
senior who has avoided the cafeteria for the past two years, ever since I got
yogurt dumped on my head.

When the popular girls initiate a plan to humiliate me, I
find I’m also naïve. Gullible.

But, I’m also smart in ways they can’t imagine.

It doesn’t take me long to discover that revenge is a dish
best served with a smoking hot guy and pretty little crown.

One finger. Two words.
Screw you.



REVIEW:

Screw You is a book full of teenage drama. The book had so much potential but missed the mark. There were some aspects I did like about this book, but it could use some improvements as well.

The plot of this book was intriguing. A girl who is a social outcast gets her revenge on her tormentors. I think anyone who has been bullied would like a book about this. I think the plot was good, but not executed well. I wish there was more related specifically to the plot.

The characters were interesting. I liked Emma. While she has normal reactions to being humiliated, she also is strong. She doesn't let it effect her life long term. Dane was a character I wanted to like, but I don't feel we really got to know him. Everything we learn about him is superficial. I wish we could've gotten to know him better.

The heat in this book was muted. There were some sexual scenes, but there wasn't much of a build up to them. It felt very unnatural. I didn't feel like I had time to really invest in their relationship.

The writing style of this book is ok. I liked the way the author used words and how she created the scenes. I also liked how she wrote Emma. I really liked her character. I thought the pace of the book was unsteady. The time jumps made the story feel fragmented. I also felt that there was a missing conflict in the book. It seemed like the book built up to a climax but never quite made it.

Overall, this book could have been amazing. I really liked the main character, but felt the rest needed improvements. I would not recommend this book to others at this point, but would be willing to give the author another shot.

Star Ratings:
Plot: 3/5
Characters: 3/5
Heat: 3/5
Writing style: 2/5
Overall: 2/5




No comments:

Post a Comment