Friday, April 3, 2015

Review - Coda - CD Reiss



BLURB:

 

Did you want a pat little ending about Jonathan and I riding off into the sunset? Did you want flowers and stars? Man, I wish it was all soft filters and violins. I wish we could fight about who cleaned the bathroom or who was cooking dinner. But I knew I was never destined for simple contentment.

I almost committed murder for him. I almost tore us apart to save him. How do you get back on the horse after that? Because, I promise you, nothing is the same. Nothing.

I’ve earned our happily ever after. Now I have to survive it.




MY REVIEW:


  
Wow, the end of such an amazing series.
Songs of Submission series left such an impression on me, when I first read it. It was my first novella series, and the story was completely unique to me. I was totally enraptured by the gritty, erotic tale, of an beautiful singer, with incredible determination to succeed in the music world. And the powerful, dominant, and obscenely rich man. Who interrupted her focus.

I'm not going to crazy on the summarising of 8 other books before this finale. There is a lot of amazing content, and if you are reading this review, then more than likely you have read them already.

So that brings me to Coda. Book 9. After quite a long break after the end of Sing, I had forgotten quite a lot of detail in the series. So I had to have a re-read first. The whole series was just as captivating and addictive, as it was the first time.
So I was able to go in to coda, refreshed on the storyline. Which is why this review took a little longer to get to.
Again, I couldn't possibly summarise Coda. Not without spoiling 8 books worth of amazing content. This is definitely a story you have to read for yourself, right from the start.

What I will say is, it was most definitely worth the wait. Another chapter in Monica and Jonathan's story would of been fantastic. But to get a full story, when you think it's all done and dusted, was an amazing treat.
It flows straight back in where the story left off in Sing. Even if I hadn't re-read the series before, I wouldn't of found it difficult to pick back up. The characters were still addictive and hadn't lost their edge. The story was just as intense as before. This time with different hurdles being thrown at Jonathan and Monica.

I did feel on the edge of my seat for quite a bit of this story. Knowing something had to be around the corner, to rock their world, and not in a good way. But not knowing what it would be. It left me quite nervous whilst reading. I will admit, there was something thrown in, to have me stupidly crying, I knew there would be, and I'd like to say I was prepared for it. But, I wasn't.

After the drama surrounding a huge portion of the books before Coda, I knew that they weren't ready for their Happy Ever After just yet. They hadn't had it easy getting to where they were now, so I know their would be another hurdle.

It was all written incredibly beautifully, although it was pure pain, and sadness. Like every other part of this series, it was written in such a way, to rip you apart, before you could feel content again. I sniffed and snotted my way through a huge portion, but upon reaching the end, I felt stupidly satisfied. Well, as satisfied as I could feel, knowing the end had actually been reached this time.

A lot of issues had been resolved for Monica and Jonathan by the end, although I am still wondering over one large issue within their story, but I guess we will never know the answer to that particular question, and I'm okay with that. These stories have all been written in a way, where although you are left on the edge, you just don't mind. So many other feelings and emotions have wiped you out, that you're left kind of numb.

Now, I couldn't review this book without mentioning just how incredibly hot, some of the scenes were. It actually felt like they had jumped up in intensity since reading Sing, but maybe I had just not read anything as hot till now. Some of these scenes blew my mind, and of course made me want a Jonathan Drazen of my own, yeah not gonna happen. So I'll just have to keep reading these books, and dreaming.

C.D. Reiss has been one of my favorite authors, since I first came across the SOS series, it left a huge impression on me, and I've jumped at anything else she has written. But, Monica and Jonathon's story started my love for her books, and this final chapter in their story just proved what an incredible author she is. I felt stupidly satisfied with this final story in the Songs of Submission series, and will miss all the characters. Waiting patiently (or not) for another Drazen sibling to get my fix!
Perfect story, perfect series, hugely recommended.

5 satisfied stars!!

No comments:

Post a Comment