Monday, April 22, 2019

Release + Review - Giulia Lagomarsino - Sniper



Title: Sniper
Series: Reed Security Series
Author: Giulia Lagomarsino
Release: April 22, 2019
Genre: Contemporary Security Romance
Goodreads: https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/44529222-sniper

Blurb:
Chance "Sniper" Hendrix is all about a good time. He was married when he was serving as a Navy SEAL and it didn't work out so well for him. When his wife left him, he decided that he was going to enjoy life and do what he loved. He knows that marriage can be good, but he just doesn't want to go there again. He never intended to sleep with a stripper. He never intended to get involved in her life. But now that he has, there's no turning back. But there's nothing fun about the situation he just got himself into and there may be no way out.

Morgan James is searching for her missing daughter, Payton. After months of a dead end investigation, she takes matters into her own hands. Working as a stripper, she's looking for a man named 'The Broker'. He either has the information she needs or he's the one behind the devious plot. She'll do anything to get her daughter back, but in this tangled web of lies and manipulations, who can she trust? 

Buy Links (Kindle Unlimited):
Amazon US: https://amzn.to/2Xp5ypN
Amazon CA: https://amzn.to/2XxDocz
Amazon UK: https://amzn.to/2XkEBUe
Amazon AU: https://amzn.to/2XkF3lo

Book Trailer: 
Embedded code: 
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/p5w8ax2Ygqw" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Direct link: https://youtu.be/p5w8ax2Ygq

Excerpt:
“F&ck, man. You got a Whitworth Rifle?” I stood up so fast, my chair flew backward. I stalked over to Vanessa and tore the box from her hands. I laid the box on the table and took a deep breath before I opened the lid. It was the most beautiful thing I had ever seen. Holding the Holy Grail would have been nothing compared to this.
“Give me some gloves,” I snapped. No one did anything for a minute, but when I glared around the room, Craig took off and was back just a minute later with a pair of gloves for me. I pulled them on and then ever so gently picked up the rifle. 
“Vanessa, you don’t know what you have here. This magnificent weapon was designed by Joseph Whitworth in 1854. There were only thirteen thousand four hundred built between 1857 and 1865. Do you know how many of these still exist? There probably aren’t any left. This could be the very last original rifle in existence.”
I ran my hand over the gun lovingly, murmuring to myself. “49 inches in length with a 33-inch barrel. Fires two to three rounds per minute with an effective firing range up to a thousand yards, with a classic iron sights scope. F&cking beautiful.”
“Should we leave you two alone?” Jackson asked.
“You don’t know how amazing this is.”
“I do,” Cazzo cut in. “That’s why I bought it.”
“Yet, somehow you forgot to mention it to your wife,” Vanessa scolded.
“Now, sweetheart, this is a collectible. For how old it is and how rare, I got a great price.”
“Really? How much was it?”
“Just a few thousand dollars.”
“Oh,” Vanessa sighed in relief. “That really had me worried for a minute.”
“Baby, I would never go out and spend a ton of money without talking to you first.”
Vanessa smiled at him. “I know, Sam.” She walked forward, pulling out a piece of paper. “I was just really worried when I saw this bill for a Whitworth Rifle that was sold at auction for $161,000!”

In The Series: Kindle Unlimited
Sinner (Reed Security Series #1)
Cap (Reed Security Series #2)
Cazzo (Reed Security Series #3)
Knight (Reed Security Series #4)
Irish (Reed Security Series #5)
Hunter (Reed Security Series #6)
Whiskey (Reed Security Series #7)
Lola (Reed Security Series #8)
Ice (Reed Security Series #9)
Burg (Reed Security Series #10)
Gabe (Reed Security Series #11)
Jules (Reed Security Series #12)
Amazon: https://amzn.to/2SAImCX
Amazon CA: https://amzn.to/2Lecq7e
Amazon UK: https://amzn.to/2TmbIVK
Amazon AU: https://amzn.to/2L9s1oD

Author bio:
I'm a stay at home mom that loves to read. Some of my favorite titles are Pride and Prejudice, Harry Potter, Lord of the Rings, and Horatio Hornblower. I started writing when I was trying to come up with suggestions on ways I could help bring in some extra money. I came up with the idea that I could donate plasma because you could earn an extra $500/month. My husband responded with, "No. Find something else. Write a blog. Write a book." I didn't think I had anything to share on blog that a thousand other mothers hadn't already thought of. I decided to take his challenge seriously and sat down to write my first book, Jack. I was surprised at how much I enjoyed writing. From there, the stories continued to flow and I haven't been able to stop. I hope my readers enjoy my books as much as I enjoy writing them. Between reading, writing, and taking care of three small kids, my days are quite full.

Social Media Links: 
website: https://sites.google.com/view/giulianalagomarsino/home
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/crazybookladylover/
Goodreads: https://www.goodreads.com/author/show/17110361.Giulia_Lagomarsino
Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/crzybookladyluv




Erin's Review 

I was excited to read this book based on the blurb.  I love a good SEAL story, and the mother looking for a missing child tugged at my heart strings.  Unfortunately, the blurb was better than the book.  Sniper is part of a series, and I have not read the rest of the series, so *maybe* if I’d read the whole series I’d like it better, but I doubt it.  

The plot of this book takes us on a wild journey that ultimately gives Sniper and Morgan a chance at love after failed past relationships.  But with some dirty and convoluted twists and turns that make it hard to follow and left us hanging with a cliffhanger ending.  Overall I was left with a sense of confusion most of the time, along with revulsion for the scenarios, and annoyance at the characters, and a general wish I hadn’t taken the time to finish.

Sniper, aka Chance is a former SEAL.  We know he was married, but it didn’t work out and left him hating the very idea of commitment and relationship.  He seems like a good guy, a stand up guy, but the details provided, in the format and order, combined with his actions and language make it hard to like him and understand him.  Morgan is a mom whose child was kidnapped and as such, will stop at nothing to find her daughter.  Her trust in the system has let her down so she’s working any angle she can to find her child.  While I understand that drive and emotion, I’m not sure I can follow her actions and reasonings throughout the book.  And it’s nearly impossible to keep track of all of Chance’s team members, with both their real names and nicknames being thrown around, though they and their loved ones seem important, but not summary given to help a reader out.  The background info seemed lacking, or was given at weird times that made it hard to relate to the characters.

One of the first things Chance does is manage to sleep with a stripper.  And treat her with a complete lack of respect.  Said stripper turns out to be Morgan.  The encounter ruined my view of both characters, so no matter than they seem to like each other sexually, it was tough to believe on my part.  Their actions and mistrust and dialogue soured me to their growth in the relationship and any chemistry they may have had.

I had to keep forcing myself to keep reading.  I thought it’d get better, but the few pages that were easy and fun to read were tempered by pages of tough to read dialogue and tormented narrative.  I had trouble keeping people straight.  I couldn’t find much of the plot points believable, and I’m sincerely hoping that is because I’ve never had a child kidnapped or been let down in the same ways as Morgan and Chance.

I didn’t love the book.  I really dislike a cliffhanger romance novel.  I have no desire to wait for the following two books to complete the storyline.  I was disappointed in what I was hoping would be a feel good book where a SEAL would save the day and fall in love and despite the kidnapping and divorce, have a happily ever after.  

Favorite Quote:
“I’d never met a group of people that were so close, yet so weird.”

“One minute, she was a crying mess and now she was acting like a domesticated cat taking over my house.”

“You’re kind of evil.  I like it.”



Star Ratings: Plot = 3/5 Characters = 3/5 Heat = 3/5 Writing Style = 3/5 Overall Rating = 3/5






No comments:

Post a Comment