Thursday, April 18, 2019

Release + Review - Learning Curve - Andi Jaxon



BLURB

Alister Bennet
Loyal, reliable... predictable even, I’ve always done what's expected of me. Stay out of trouble, get my teaching degree and build a respectable career as a college professor. The job comes with a long list of rules and at the top of that list is no fraternizing with students. Following the rules seemed easy enough, until a dark, tortured boy sat outside my office waiting for me. His voice told me it was his grade he was worried about, but the deep onyx pools of his eyes told me more as they shook the solid ground I’d always stood on.
Am I willing to risk my career, my carefully built reputation, to help one so filled with pain I can taste it?
Benjamin Wallace
Rejected, abused, and abandoned my entire life, all I’ve ever wanted was to be accepted, loved even. I thought going to college on a scholarship would be my ticket out of hell, but nothing good ever comes without a price. As graduation nears I find myself drawn to the mysterious professor like a moth to a flame. Just one meeting with the man that has been staring in my dreams has my soul screaming for him to hold me, comfort me. A relationship isn't just frowned upon, it's forbidden, but the heart doesn't always know the difference.
Can I trust my mangled heart in his perfect life when my past repeats itself or will he destroy what is left of me?
*Author's note: This is an MM teacher-student romance with themes including abuse and kidnapping. This story ends with a HEA.*
Enter the release giveaway on Andi’s Facebook page:https://www.facebook.com/910673552416545/posts/1252540284896535
PURCHASE LINKS – $2.99 for release week ONLY!
Free in Kindle Unlimited

TRAILER
Embed Code: 
<iframe width="480" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/TUzzMuU47Ag" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

AUTHOR BIO
From Dyslexic kid with a love of Algebra to a published author, no one is more surprised to find me here, than I am. I love to write about tortured pasts and hot sex, a happily ever after that has to be worked for. My stories tend to be a little dark but with some comic relief, typically in the form of sarcasm.
AUTHOR LINKS
Newsletter: http://bit.ly/2YdGL9t


Our Review

Louise's Review 

A forbidden M/M romance; Alister is a professor at a Christian college he loves his job and
when one of his Students comes to see him to seek help passing the class he is taken back
by his attraction and need to protect Ben.
Ben has been through hell and back growing up, living in an abusive foster home he was
exposed to a life that no child should ever have to. Ben is determined to make something of
himself which means graduating making full use of his scholarship. What he never
anticipated was falling for his professor and opening up to him spilling his deepest and
darkest secrets.
I personally enjoyed this story; I devoured it and couldn’t put it down. The characters
continued to grow throughout the book and we got to meet 2 fantastic minor characters who
I hope will get their own book in the future as they were a great addition to the darker side of
this book.


Star Rating; Plot: 4/5 Characters: 4/5 Heat: 4/5 Writing Style: 4/5 Overall: 4/5


Erin's Review 

This book tackled a lot of intricate and delicate themes.  The reader had to be ready to process not only a powerful love story, but the traumatic past and troubling actions surrounding the main characters.  A first time reader of Andi Jaxon, I was blown away by her powerful imagery and well written love story.

This books takes through the journey of two men who fall in love and have to traverse not only the rocky water of a relationship, but societal issues, age differences, and some serious baggage.  Through it all the reader has hope from the blurb of a happily ever after; but that hope is kept alive by the writer.  My emotions were all over the place as I read this book, but I felt the author did an amazing job writing the plot!

The introductions to these characters were fun, and I loved getting to know them.  Alister as the the well respected math professor, who’s classes are full of female students in love with him...but he’s in the closet at work.  His loving family stands behind him.  Ben is a struggling student trying so hard to make it in a world that seems against him.  He’s been let down in so many ways.  Through it all his enduring spirit keeps him going and he’s the underdog we’re all rooting for.  I liked their story arc, even if it’s full of some of the worst in humanity and I hate that such filth exists in our world.  

Despite the age difference, despite the power imbalance, despite the background differences, Alister and Ben are drawn to each other in ways that defy logic and reason.  The sparks fly within seconds, and they deny the heat…  But like moths to a flame, they can’t stop the passion, and even act out of character to make their feelings known.  So even when they know all the reasons they shouldn’t, they do, and the build up and ensuing sex scenes are some of the most well written MM I’ve read.  

You get sucked into this book quite quickly, and though there were a few places it slowed, you were kept in the story.  You had to keep going to see what wretched thing humanity had to offer these two, and if someone could redeem that.  It was done with respect and detail.  And just when some of the characters were a bit too trite or too perfect, some flaw or other real world happenstance would correct the flow.  

Favorite Quotes:
“Lean on me, talk to me, just be with me, and the rest will fall into place.”
I may spontaneously combust right here in my seat just from the look in his eyes when he says my name.”

Star Ratings:
Plot = 5/5 Characters = 5/5 Heat = 5/5 Writing Style = 5/5 Overall Rating = 5/5



No comments:

Post a Comment