Monday, November 23, 2015

REVIEW - Rae of Sunshine - Micalea Smeltzer




TITLE - Rae Of Sunshine
AUTHOR - Micalea Smeltzer




Synopsis:



What I remember the most about that day was that it was completely ordinary. Then with one stupid decision everything fell apart and nothing was ever the same.

Rae Wilder wants nothing but a do over—but life doesn’t work that way. She’s stuck living out the consequences of her actions. At times the burden feels unbearable. 
College is supposed to be her second chance. 
New place.
New people.
New life.
No one to know what she did.
Despite that, she has still vowed to avoid everyone and everything at all costs. 
Unfortunately for her, an accidental run-in with the campus heartthrob, Cade Montgomery, derails that plan. 
He’s determined to thaw the ice around her heart and expose the girl she used to be. He wants to show her that life is worth living for and that she really is a Rae of Sunshine.



My Review:


Rae of Sunshine is a wonderfully written romance novel. There is a ton of emotion within this book, but it is told in a wonderful way without any unnecessary drama. Micalea has always been one of my go to authors, as I love her writing style, and this book is as wonderful as the rest. I love how Micalea is able to take serious issues and discuss them in a respectful way without exploiting them for shock value.

This book follows Rae, who has secrets to hide. She is looking to start over in a new life when she heads off to college. Rae is broken and haunted by past decisions. She just wants to keep her head down and not get close to anyone. Unfortunately for her, she runs into Cade. Cade is a football star, popular, and all around good guy. Even with all the good in his life, he has suffered tragedy as well. He sees Rae and realizes how special she is. I love his patience throughout the book. He shows that he is a really good guy who is willing to help anyone. I also love watching him interact with his sister.

I love the way that Micalea develops Rae’s character. At first, she is frustrating to read about because she is so stubborn in her ways, but once we find out why she is, the whole story comes together. I love that Cade also has his own issues going on. It goes to show that even popular happy people have problems. I think this shows that having different coping styles doesn’t mean that one person is better than the other. Each person is unique and my way of getting over something will always be different than another person’s coping style.

The only negative thing I can say about this book is that there is not really any heat. With that being said, I am actually really ok with this. This story is meant to be an emotional and sweet story. I feel that if there was more heat in this book, it would’ve taken away from the main story and felt forced. I believe this is wonderfully done.

I think often times we meet people and forget that they have a life other than what they portray. I believe this is a serious topic that the author tackled and she did it in a wonderful way. I took away from this book that we should not judge people based on their actions, rather look beneath the surface and see if there are any underlying reasons for their actions. Sometimes people just need someone to reach out a hand. They might not even know that they are asking for help with their actions, but a lot of times they are. This book reminded me of this.

Overall, I loved this book. I loved the sweetness of the story. I believe this story is about redemption and forgiveness not only in others but in oneself. I love how Micalea always touches on a serious topic within her books. It is not always so obvious what the topic is, but once you sit back and think, you realize she is trying to teach lessons with her books. I would recommend this book to any of my friends and family members.



Star Ratings:
Plot = 5/5
Characters = 5/5
Heat = 3/5
Writing Style = 5/5
Overall Rating = 4/5


Favorite Quotes:

“I mean, I did lay on top of you, so I figured I should at least know your name.” Cade, Rae of Sunshine

“Do you have any brothers or sisters?” Thea asked suddently.
I shook my head and grinned. “Nope. I’m perfect. My parent’s had no need to reproduce a second time.” Thea and Rae, Rae of Sunshine

“You two know each other?”
“If being tackled to the ground by this ogre counts as knowing each other then the answer is yes.”
Thea’s brow furrowed. “You tackled her? I’m confused. Ohhh, is ‘tackled’ a code word for se*? I’m not good at reading between the lines.”- Thea, Rae, and Cade, Rae of Sunshine








CLICK COVER TO PURCHASE:






No comments:

Post a Comment