Friday, August 7, 2015

REVIEW - The Gilded Cuff - Lauren Smith




TITLE - The Gilded Cuff


AUTHOR - Lauren Smith





Synopsis:


Every passion has its price . . .

Journalist Sophie Ryder has been following Emery Lockwood’s story since she was a little girl. There has always been something in his haunted eyes that she couldn’t resist and now, when she’s certain he holds the key to solving a string of kidnappings, she’ll do anything to speak to him. Even if it means venturing deep into the seductive world of the Gilded Cuff, a luxurious BDSM club on Long Island’s Gold Coast and Emery’s personal playground.

From the moment Sophie enters his shadowy, sensual domain, Emery Lockwood knows this tantalizing new little sub was meant to belong to him. However, Sophie wants more from Emery than just pleasure . . . she wants his past. And that is something he isn’t willing to give—no matter who is asking. But every moment he spends with Sophie, Emery feels his control slipping and he knows it’s only a matter of time before he surrenders to her heart, body, and soul.




My Review:



Unfortunately, I didn't get on very with this book at all. I know I'm probably only 1 of a few people, judging by the ratings, but for some reason it wasn't what I was expecting, and I really struggled to get through this book. 

To start the story, Journalist Sophie Ryder, who is more of an investigative journalist, had a bad experience in her childhood which shaped the way she is now. She has spent her entire adult working career, trying to make up for something that happened to her and her best friend, and this has led her to her final option. Emery Lockwood, well known for what happened to him as a child. But what happened to him, made him a recluse to the world. The only way Sophie can get to him, is through the luxurious BDSM club that Emery spends his time submerged in. 

NOW, the blurb alone, sold me on the fact that Sophie was entering this club, where anything could happen. It was a place for those with money, and desires to explore. Plus with the title being the The Gilded Cuff, I had my hopes up for a fantastic BDSM style story. WRONG!! Yes, Sophie goes to this club, and sees a couple of tame scenes play out, and yes she is chosen by Emery, and cuffs are placed on her. THAT IS IT. Do not expect much else out of that storyline, a few lines, hints, and suggestions but no actual story that involves BDSM or clubs, or anything like that. So if you read the blurb hoping for that, I wouldn't bother. 

BUT, not to put you off totally, the book has a good storyline, and it is more of a thriller or intrigue style mystery, with some really clever twists, and a lot of tense moments, that make this a great suspense story, with a couple of good sex scenes. If you go in to this story for that, then you may very well enjoy it. If you go in to this story on the blurb, you will be disappointed. I was. Lots of angst, drama, and nail biting moments. Lot's of great reveal too. I think if I had actually thought I was reading some sort of mystery, I would of been more satisfied, I think I was disappointed because I wanted it to be something it wasn't.

Anyway, the writing was good, and the story was clever. But it wasn't enough for me. It was missing something, and I wasn't gripped enough unfortunately. 



Star Rating.

Plot = 3.5/5
Characters = 3/5
Heat = 3/5
Writing Style = 4/5
Overall Rating = 3/5 




CLICK COVER TO PURCHASE:



No comments:

Post a Comment