Friday, August 14, 2015

REVIEW - The Same Deep Water - Lisa Swallow



TITLE - The Same Deep Water


AUTHOR - Lisa Swallow






*RELEASED ON AUGUST 26TH*


Synopsis:


Once, I wanted to die. That was the night I met Guy.

The strange man with flowers stepped from the shadows and saved my life.


Guy. Dimpled smile. Body of a surf god. Smart and funny.Running out of time.


We became travelling companions through life, ticking off items on our bucket lists. I’d hidden from happiness for years and kept my life under strict control. Guy showed me how to step into the world and experience more. He brought light into the shadows and helped me through the darkness.


I became Phe again. I lived.


There’s just one problem.


We fell in love and this wasn’t part of our plans.


I thought I could cope with our uncertain future until Guy revealed a secret. His betrayal changed everything.


Sometimes, believing the lies we tell ourselves is easier than dealing with the truth.
The Same Deep Water is a new adult romance set in Australia. This is the story of two people living in the present and accidentally creating a future neither of them can see, and learning ten things on a bucket list are just the edge of the world they could have.



*The book partly deals with mental health issues which may include triggers for some readers*






My Review:




Every so often, you come across a book that leaves a mark. Not necessarily because it's the sexiest, dirtiest, darkest, or even most romantic. But because it touches you in a way other books haven't. Perhaps it hits at something you recognise, or something you don't want to recognise, or maybe it just makes you realise that there are others out there who have struggles too, even if they are fictional. It still leaves it's mark, and sticks in your mind far longer, than the same books you read day in and day out.

"How incredibly sad that something so beautiful shines the brightest just before it dies" he says
"Some of the stars are long gone, with the light from their death just reaching us."

The Same Deep Water, is one of those books. It wasn't a conventional love story, a light and breezy easy beach read, or even a hairy gorgeous man tearing off on a huge bike, throwing his torn clothes at ladies sighing at the side lines. Nope, it was so much more.

Right from the first chapter, this book touched me, where other books had left me kinda bored and numb. It's hard to explain how a book can leave such a powerful impression, but upon reading this book you would see it straight away.

"Why are you always so serious in the dark?" I whisper and touch his cheek.
"Because you can't see me properly."
"I think I see more of you than you realise"

It's the story of two people with heavy hearts, heavy minds, and painful pasts. They both have secrets and struggles they need to battle through daily. It's not a dance on the rainbows, whilst sniffing the flowers type of love story. It's a love story that is real, because it deals with the harsh and ugly stuff, that happens to so many people, but usually is hidden away. In this book we see how these two people deal with all their own obstacles and demons, to be able to enjoy life and love. Neither of them has had it easy, and their pasts are full of pain and sadness. But through all the heartbreaking parts, there is also a developing friendship and later love, that makes this story so beautiful and heartwarming.

We say so much to each other yet so little, on the edge of each other's lives. He tells me I'm his, but I don't think he's mine.

I'm not going to go in to details and summaries on this story, as it's perfect without prior knowledge. But I highly recommend it, if you love to read stories that step out from the conventional or the normal. Ones that show all aspects of life, even the uglier and painful hidden parts, the sides of us we hide and don't like to talk about. But what I loved was how reading this book, makes you realise you're not alone. I know that sounds strange, but it's almost like there is something in this story, that could help readers, make them realise they aren't the only ones who suffer, and show how others who suffer, eventually get through rough patches, and find happiness.

But anyway, that's enough of that sappy stuff, at the end of the day this book is incredibly well written, it's honest, beautiful and captivating. Not to mention the stunning scenery and background to all the places Guy and Phe travel to, whilst on their journey through their bucket lists together. Makes you want to go find some gorgeous beaches, and attempt to surf, badly if you are me. I'm also thinking maybe I should write a bucket list, never really thought of it before. This book is most definitely inspirational.

**Just to be clear, this book is not a ugly cry, break-your-heart ending. Yes, there are some really sad elements, and depending on how they affect you, you will probably well up quite a lot. BUT, above all it is a love story and has a happy ending that is beautiful. Plus the story deals with some mental health issues, in case that is a trigger for you in books.**


"I think sometimes love creeps up on you however hard you try"


Star Ratings:

Plot = 5/5
Characters = 5/5
Heat = 4/5
Writing Style = 5/5
Overall Rating = 5/5 









No comments:

Post a Comment