Monday, August 21, 2017

REVIEW - Hooked - Karla Sorensen & Whitney Barbetti



TITLE - Hooked


AUTHOR - Karla Sorensen & Whitney Barbetti






BLURB:



X and I were probably doomed from the start. 


That’s what happens when you meet in court-mandated group therapy and then try to steal from him to pay off your blackmailing drug dealer. Former drug dealer, thank you very much. I'm turning over a new leaf and all that. 

Which is why I should leave him alone. 

Except he tempts me to do things I swore I’d stop doing. It’s that whole gruff, grumbly, anti-social thing he has going on. Him, flame. Me, moth. Something about him calls to me, makes the blood hum in my body. And I don't want that feeling to end. 


Lucy Connors is straight-up insane. 

She looks like a Disney princess and tries my patience in more ways than I thought possible. Besides the fact that I have to save her cute little ass from jail, I can’t quite figure out how to leave her alone. Even when she’s trying her hand at Breaking and Entering. Especially when it's myhouse she's burglarizing. 

Yeah, we were probably doomed from the start. 

But that’s the thing about being hooked on something so good, and so bad for you—you don’t walk away when you should. 

Note from the authors: 

This book deals with subject matter that is highly improbable, sometimes campy, and definitely illegal. Please don't use it as a guideline for how to live your life, but enjoy nonetheless.



REVIEW:



“Laugh out loud good, 5 stars”


I have never been shy about admitting I love Sorensen’s stories and I’ve always enjoyed the stories of Barbetti’s that I’ve read, so when I saw that they were teaming up and it was a dark rom-com, I didn’t know what to expect. I laughed, I cringed/shuddered, I swooned, and I fell for the odd couple. 

I really truly thought that where I have read both authors, I would have a small inkling of when who wrote what, but I never did. It was flawless in transition between the two and now I’m stuck here wondering…do I like them better together than I do apart? One thing I do know is I hope they team up again.

Lucy might look like a Disney princess but she is a hot mess. She’s on parole for her time as a druggie/drug dealer. Lucy has been burned by pretty much everyone in the past so her faith in humanity is low. So when a guy walks into therapy wearing clothes worth more than her car she knows he’s her hit to pay back her old dealer. Only he has a few tricks up his sleeve.

X…poor X… I have never felt sorrier for a dude then I did X. First off, I am sure he is thankful these two women gave him X as an option because his first name is horrible. Second, I feel bad for the guy because his life kind of sucks. He grew up with money, but his mom is bat crap crazy, the extreme helicopter parent that has never stopped hovering. It’s caused so much damage to his psych that he’s in therapy for it, which is how he meets Lucy. They are opposites but you and I both know opposites attract.

At first, I thought these two were like oil and water, but they do work. Lucy and X found themselves in a crazy situation and just ran with it. It was a crazy situation and never once did either waver, they always stood by each other. Lucy causes chaos to X’s well laid out plans and he doesn’t care. The way they wrote Hooked reminded me a little of Janet Evanovich’s Stephanie Plum stories, the story was too crazy not to believe. I absolutely loved X and Lucy and I hope you will too.

It was incredibly hard for me to pick two quotes from the story that wouldn’t give too much away yet pulled me in to share, I hope you enjoy;

“She was half princess, half bombshell, and for the life of me, I couldn’t figure out why that felt wrong.”

“I looked down at myself, taking in the dress shirt, the dark shoes, and backpack. It was a weird combination, for sure, but this would hardly be the weirdest fare any Uber driver had picked up.”

Star Ratings:
Plot- 5/5
Character- 5/5
Heat- 5/5
Writing style- 5/5
Overall- 5/5






No comments:

Post a Comment