Tuesday, August 22, 2017

SERIES REVIEW - Portwood Series - Emily Robertson



Portwood Series
Emily Robertson


Playing it Cool




Blurb:

Addison has had her future mapped out since she was a little girl – pre-law degree from the University of Nebraska, getting into a top notch law school, followed by a career as a no-nonsense lawyer. She knows that a husband will come at some point, but she hasn’t figured that part out yet. One thing is certain, it’s not Bryce Portwood, the annoying class clown in her English class.

Bryce has never taken anything too serious. Life’s too short to get all worked up and never have fun. The moment Addison Webster opened her mouth, he knew she needed to let her hair down, and he wanted to be the one to help her. Getting Addison to hang out was easy. Getting her to lighten up and trust him, not so much.

Bryce has a plan. If he can get her to let go and have fun, maybe she’ll see he’s not so bad. If Bryce can just play it cool, maybe he can prove to her that he can fit into those well-laid plans after all.


Review:

Playing it cool is a cute novella. I really enjoyed reading about this couple. While this story is short, it doesn't feel like a novella. There is plenty of story to make it feel like a full length novel.

The plot of this novella is a good one.  It is set at college so you have that new adult feel. What I love most about new adult stories is that each character is trying to plan their futures and love is rarely on their minds. This leads yo some wonderful conflicts between the characters.

Bryce is great. I seriously would fall for him myself. He is such a gentleman. I loved getting to know him. Addison is a good character as well. I feel she is really the main focal point of the story. She has a lot in her story, which really makes this novella have a satisfying feel to it for readers.

Overall, I really enjoyed this novella. The characters and plot were written wonderfully. If you are looking for a quick read with some romance, then this is perfect for you.

Star Ratings:
Plot: 5/5
Characters: 5/5
Heat:5/5
Writing style: 5/5
Overall: 5/5


Playing by the Rules




Blurb:

Payton always had one rule she lived by, no boyfriends until after college. No one seemed to agree with her, even her own mother who had her at age sixteen. Returning to school after an accident that flipped Payton’s world upside down left her feeling out of control. Holding on to her rule seemed to be her only lifeline. 

Josh had been letting the past rule his life for too long. Finally being at school, he’d become his own man, and he’d been putting all that behind him. Just when he thought he had it all put together, life got crazy. Not only did his ex show back up, but Josh also found he couldn’t get Payton Whitmore out of his head.

Once Josh convinces Payton to give him a shot, she’s so closed off that he wonders if it’s even worth it. Josh can tell there’s something special about Payton, though, and as soon as he goes all in, he’s ready to show her that some rules are made to be broken.


Review:

Playing by the Rules is such a great romance novel. What I love most about it is that it is not only about the main couple. This author likes to make the book feel you are truly being inserted into these characters lives. Playing by the Rules is the first book in the Portwood Brothers series. Playing it Cool is a novella that is a prequel to the series. Playing by the Rules has some mystery, romance, heartbreak, and some serious situations. I applaud the author for writing some more serious scenes.

This book follows two college students as they make their way through life. They each have their own insecurities and baggage, but are drawn to each other. The main theme of this book for me is learning to open up and trust another person. I really enjoyed the overall theme and plot of this book. There is nothing I can negatively say about the plot.

The characters in this book are written wonderfully. Payton is a character I loved, but hated at times too. She had a lot going on in her life and head that she kept to herself. I’d like to say I would change things about her, but honestly, she is one of the most realistic characters I have read in a long time. Her constant back and forth and the way she dealt with life is much like I personally have gone through. Josh is the main male lead. I loved this character. He is such a strong character. While he had some developing to do, he was more like a constant in the book. He offered stability to the book that the book needed. I loved his baggage. I don’t think many people realize some of the issues that come with being a twin. I am not a twin personally, but I feel this could be relatable to some twins.

The heat in this book is absolutely there. These two characters are drawn to each other like moths to the flame. Neither one know why, but I would like to think it is fate playing a part. The scenes between these characters are steamy and realistic. I loved how the author wrote about these characters and their interactions with each other. She made the reader feel like they were experiencing these emotions themselves.

The writing style of the book was good. This is the only part of the book I would critique. While I loved the book, the pace felt a bit off. I felt at times things moved to slow. I also felt there was so much going on in this book. With that being said, the book is still amazing. I cannot wait to read more.
Overall, I loved this book. So far this series has taken me by surprise. These brothers are hot and their women are interesting. I cannot wait to read the next book and find out more about Jaxson. I would recommend this book to others. Way to go!

Star Ratings:
Plot: 5/5
Characters: 5/5
Heat: 5/5
Writing Style: 4/5
Overall: 4.5/5


Playing with Fire



Blurb:

Jackson wants the one thing he can’t have, his brother’s girlfriend. He tried to forget her, but even spending nine months Afghanistan didn’t make him want her any less. Now he was heading home, a home he shares with his brother and the woman they both want.

Emma believed that you should never follow your heart. She tried that once, and she ended up alone and broken. After she put the pieces back together, she decided she’d rather forget about love and just have fun. Who needed someone special anyway? Certainly not her. 

When both of them realize they are on they are on the same page, they embark in a hot, no-strings arrangement that satisfies their needs without getting their hearts involved. But when you play with fire, someone always gets burned. 


Review:

What a page turner! Playing with Fire is very appropriately named. I was so excited to read this book because I just knew Jax was something special. I was not disappointed with this book. Screw Emma, I want Jax all to myself. This book is part of the Portwood series. While I suggest you read the others in the series to get the full effect, this book is amazing all on its own.

The plot of this book intrigued me from the beginning. I love military books so the fact that Jax is in the military really appealed to me. I think there is so much that can be explored with military characters, but I am glad the author chose the path she did. This plot was so refreshing. So often we get these books about friends with benefits that are so overplayed. This author takes the friends with benefits to a new level and adds in some new and refreshing views on it.

Jax is a wonderful character. He has such a depth to him that I hadn’t quite expected. I really wasn’t sure which was the author was going to go with his character, but I truly fell in love with him. I seriously want him for myself, but shhs don’t tell my husband. Emma is a great character too. She has been burned before so she is protective of herself. I love how strong willed and feisty she is. Even with Jax being an alpha, she really stands up for herself and doesn’t let herself get pushed around. Both have a past they are trying to work through. I loved going on this journey with them.

I did not expect this book to heat up as quickly as it did. I think that is what made this book the most refreshing. There wasn’t a lot of cat and mouse chase before things exploded. Things exploded right away. What is even better is that things didn’t die down. If anything, they continued to get hotter! The author did not skimp on these hot and sexy scenes.

I really enjoy the way this author writes. It is obvious that she knows how to really develop a story and add depth to characters. The pace of this book is nice and steady. The author uses some time jumps and flashbacks to tell her story which adds another layer. I love how the author sets the next book up by including minor characters and using the epilogue to really introduce the new characters.

Overall, this is a wonderful book that made me lose sleep. I stayed up half the night because I could not put it down! If you haven’t started reading this series, you are really missing out. I would recommend this book to others, but I would warn them that Jax is mine. I seriously can see myself reading this book over and over again.

Star Ratings:
Plot: 5/5
Characters: 5/5
Heats: 5/5
Writing Style: 5/5
Overall: 5/5


Playing for the Win




Blurb:

Addison had always thought when she said, “I do” two years ago that it’d be forever. Madly in love, things were going along fine, great even, until she found out her husband was keeping secrets from her. Unable to deal with that on top of everything else in her life, she packed her bags and headed home to her parents.

Bryce had been called a lot of things in his life, most of them he wouldn’t repeat. One thing he’s never been called was a quitter. He’d proven time and time again that when he set his mind to something, he succeeded at it. It might take some persistence and a little hard work, but he never gave up until it paid off. 

Bryce knows one way or another he was getting his wife back. He’d have to fight harder than he ever had before, but he’d do it for Addison, for them. He’d play dirty if he had to because he wasn’t going to lose. He was playing to win.


Review:

Playing for the Win is a nice conclusion to the Portwood series.  It has a little bit of everyone so you truly feel you know where everyone is at in their lives. I really enjoyed this novel, especially because I got to see my sweet Jax in it. I really liked the overall feel of this book. I felt this book had a lot to do with reconnecting and redemption. There are some serious topics discussed in this book as well.

We met Bryce and Addison in the first novella, Playing it Cool. We got to see how they met and fell in love. Playing for the Win shows where they are today and the struggles couples often go through together. I have to say that in my personal life I am going through some of these same struggles and it was nice to read a book that realistically describes what I am feeling. I also like how it shows that not everyone is perfect and we all have flaws and insecurities that we need to overcome.

Bryce is a jerk in all the other books, so it is nice to see a different side of him. A lot of times when we meet someone with this type of personality, we just assume that they jerks and write them off completely. It was nice to see Bryce’s inner thoughts and how he develops throughout the story. He still has his moments, but I liked seeing his softer edges. Addison is such a strong character. We have been able to see her as a rock for others in the past books. It is nice to see that even the rock has some problems to work through. I don’t think we ever truly got a real sense of Addison until this book.

There is some heat in this book, but this book is more about the interpersonal relationships between the characters. I like that the heat took a backseat to the storyline. It feels organic to the story, especially with the serious topics being discussed and handled. Furthermore, I feel this book spoke to me because of my own personal life experiences, but I think others would enjoy it too, even if they are in the same place as the character.

This author is an amazing writer. Not only does she tell this story from Bryce and Addison’s point of view, but she also includes the other characters points of view as well so it really feels like an end of series book where all loose ends are tied up. My only complaint about this book is that there is one part that for me personally is unrealistic, but it didn’t ruin the book and it is probably only because of my personal experience.

Overall, this is a wonderful story. I loved this entire series. I really hope we get more stories from this author because she has an amazing way of writing her thoughts down on paper in a way that reaches her readers. I feel this series has a little bit of everything for readers. Playing for the Win specifically has a lot to do with redemption and overcoming obstacles. I loved this about this book. I would recommend this series to others.

Star Ratings:
Plot: 5/5
Characters: 5/5
Heat: 5/5
Writing Style: 5/5
Overall: 5/5



No comments:

Post a Comment