Tuesday, September 12, 2017

REVIEW - Redemption Island - L.B. Dunbar



TITLE - Redemption Island
AUTHOR - L.B. Dunbar





Releases September 15th



BLURB:



The Island


Welcome to the island. 
This is no fantasy.
You’ll face fears. 
You’ll face travesty. 
You’ll face yourself.

One deserted island.
Two heinous crimes.
Two convicted hearts.

When decent people do bad things, 
there’s only one place for forgiveness:
Redemption Island.

The island knows what you’ve done.



REVIEW:



Holy mother of all that is holy! What the heck did I just read???? Those were my thoughts when I finished Redemption Island. I mean I expected some of it, but this by far surpassed any expectations I had set for myself when reading this book. This book has secrets, lies, misconceptions, mystery, and even a bit of questioning insanity. Along with that, there is tons of heat and journeys to self-discovery. This book blew my mind. *Disclaimer that there are some sensitive subjects discussed in this book. Please keep that in mind in case of any triggers you might have*


The plot of this book was unlike any other book I have read in recent times. Two people who have both committed crimes stuck on an island together. These same two people looking for forgiveness? Seriously, I love how vague the blurb is because it totally hooks you. Then you read the book and go “Whoa, this is even better than I imagined it being.” Seriously don’t want to say too much about the plot, but just know it was AMAZING!

Juliet is one heck of a character. She has done something very bad, but for an understandable reason. Even so, she is still punished because of the crime committed. Instead of being a victim, she is so strong. I love this about her. For her, the Island is more than just forgiveness, she is also looking inside herself to self-reflect on her life. Then you have Tack. He is not what you would expect. He has a past of his own and his own crime to repent for. His time on the island is more like a sentence. He too has time for self-reflection. I liked his journey.

The heat on this island is in more way that one. First of all, they are on a tropical island, so I mean the climate is hot, but then when these two unexpectedly run into each other. Yeah you can feel the waves of chemistry flying between them. This leads to some interesting and awkward scenes between these characters.

This author had a unique way of writing this book. She did tell the story from both characters’ points of views, but the way she labeled her chapters is what I found most interesting. The pace of the book is steady. I also liked how the author revealed the past and secrets slowly from each person’s point of view. Really there was not a thing about this book I didn’t enjoy.

Overall, this was one astonishing book. I cannot stop thinking about it and what will happen next. Like can I just get the next part already?? I am not below begging. On a serious note, I do want to mention again that there are some serious topics addressed in this book and it is important to know that I feel this author took care in writing about it. I do feel that if you have triggers, you might want to avoid this book, but if not, then don’t like this deter you. It was a truly remarkable book.


Star Ratings:
Plot: 5/5
Characters: 5/5
Heat: 5/5
Writing Style: 5/5
Overall: 5/5





No comments:

Post a Comment