Friday, May 20, 2016

REVIEW - The Witnessing Of Matlyn Wren by Jennifer Lynn January

Title - The Witnessing Of Matlyn Wren
Author - Jennifer Lynn January






Synopsis

"A hundred years of service. A hundred years of Witnessing death you will write their histories. The key to your salvation will be born in pain and written upon your skin." 

Baker's life ended in 1915 and he became something ... more.

Forced into an endless loop of tedium and pain, he was all too happy to meet his end ...

Until he came face-to-face with his next Story, Matlyn Wren.

My Thoughts

The Witnessing of Matlyn Wren is a uniquely written story. Author Jennifer Lynn January is an amazing writer with an active imagination. With that being said, this book was not my particular cup of tea. While I feel the writing was really good, it is not a book that would normally hit my sweet spot.

Jennifer Lynn January is an amazing writer. Her writing style and ability to use her imagination is an admirable skill. I really liked the plot. It is interesting andvrefreshing. With that being said, there were a couple of aspects of the writing that I did not personally enjoy. First, I didn't like the use of time jumps. While I understand that these were used to further the story, I personally don't enjoy books with this particular style. The only other thing about the writing I didn't like was the fact that sometimes I felt confused when transitioning on who's mind I was in. This was minor though and did not effect my overall view of the book.

The characters in this book are very interesting. Matlyn has a unique background and a wonderful personality. I really enjoyed her character. I feel her character development was done wonderfully. Baker is a very interesting character himself. He also is developed and I really liked the way the author wrote his character. Instead of the normal moral issues, Baker has a unique quandary on his hands. It's very interesting to see him develop.

The heat in this book is tangible. I love how the author uses passion to show the connection between characters. The scenes between the two main characters could be sweet and serious, but they could also be combustable. These two together were like fireworks being set off. This was one of my favorite parts of the book.

Overall, I did enjoy this book, even if it didn't have everything I was expecting. The plot was good and fresh and the characters intriguing. The author, Jennifer Lynn January, did an amazing job with this book. It is a solid 4 star read for me.

Ratings:
Plot: 5/5
Writing style: 4/5
Heat: 5/5
Characters 5/5
Overall: 5/5



Click Cover Image Below To Purchase


No comments:

Post a Comment