Thursday, July 16, 2015

REVIEW - The Espionage Effect - Kat & Stone Bastian


TITLE - The Espionage Effect
AUTHOR - Kat Bastian with Stone Bastian


Synopsis:

When desire sets you free…control is a matter of perception.


I'm Devin Hill.



Darkness taints my soul.



I'm suffocating. Drowning.



The sweet promise of air? Pure illusion.



Tested as a genius at age seven, I hide my emotions, become what they expect...bury my secrets. At nineteen, I trudge toward a predestined path, blinders on, heart safeguarded.



Until I dare to be wild.



Until Alec Marquez crashes into my world.



Until all that follows redefines everything I've ever known.



What happens when you stumble into a world of spies...and discover you belong there?




*** This is a standalone full-length novel. ***



Genre: Romantic Suspense / Action-Adventure Romance /
Erotic Romance (sensual, explicit, sexual awakening)


My Thoughts:

**contains spoilers** 


Devin Hill isn't your typical college girl. She has an IQ of 162 and has a eidetic memory, which means her brain is basically a super computer. Devin doesn't see things like we do, she sees the big picture with all the tiny details. 
In the beginning of the book Kat went into ridiculous detail, to the point it kind of annoyed me. Until I realized how Devin's mind worked, then it made complete sense. She's kind of like Sheldon from Big Bang Theory, she even majors in physics to top it off. 

Anyways this book is about Devin trying to find out who she really is. Her best friend/roommate Anna, and her go on vacation get away from life. 
Devin is trying to decide which kind of physics to study to make her parents happy. The only problem is is she doesn't want to study physics. She wants to do something more, she thinks her abilities would be more useful outside of the lab.
It was the kidnapping of her younger sister that set that thought into motion years ago. Her younger sister was pulled away from her by kidnappers, and her family never got any closure. Devin wants justice. 
Devin manages to figure out why her parents have been absent from her life since the day her sister disappeared. She enters into a world of spies and espionage. a world she quickly discovers she loves. Devin finds herself happy for the first time in years. But will that all come crashing down on her when she finds out some truths. 

Alec Marquez is a spy. He was recruited off the streets at seventeen. Alec has two jobs currently...get Devin to join the team and take down a criminal who has a war grade virus in his hands. And much to his surprise Alec finds out that he doesn't like being a lone ranger. He enjoys working with Devin. He soon finds himself in love with Devin. Their chemistry is off the charts. But will the already unconventional relationship be strong enough to last when Devin learns the truth about Alec and what he's known?



Here are a few of my favorite quotes: 


"“You do realize, I know the statistical probability of your being here as coincidence is so astronomically high, it’s effectively nil. Three ‘random’ occurrences where we cross paths in one day defies the theory of Occam’s Razor.”
“Do you kiss with that extraordinary mouth?” 

“Whatever the world has in store for us, I’ve already found all I need.” 

“But in the moments I control, and even those I don’t , where I’m holding on tight, along for the ride… I get to live.”

If you're looking for a book about a girl that is way too smart for her own good and espionage, this is your book. Prepare for the spy games, you never know what's around the corner. 


Star Ratings:

Plot- 4/5 
Heat- 2.5/5 
Characters- 3/5 
Writing style- 3/5 
Overall- 3/5 



**I was given an ARC in exchange for a fair and honest review.**

No comments:

Post a Comment