Tuesday, July 21, 2015

REVIEW - How To Save A Life - Lauren K. McKellar


TITLE: How To Save A Life
AUTHOR: Lauren K. McKellar


Synopsis:


I learnt the hard way that labels stick. Laura took “lovely”, and the teacher branded me “ladylike”. 
It stuck with me, even through my high school years. It felt like that was all I’d ever be.

Until everything changed.

Lonely Lia. 
Little Lia.
Lia the liar. 
Lia the lost …

Now the choices are endless. But I don’t want to be any of those either. 
My name is Lia Stanton. And this is my story.






My Thoughts:



Wow, just wow!
This book seriously blew me away, no scrap that, it blew my head off. Too weird? Okay.

So, How To Save A Life, is my first read of Lauren K. McKellar's and wow what an impression it has left me with.
I knew that this author's last series was pretty epic, and tear your heart out kind of reads, so I did psych myself up for this book, thinking it may just be the same.

Lia Stanton is 17 (nearly 18, yep that is important) and she has to have been through more in the last 2 years, than anyone triple her age.
She is far more mature than most 17 year olds, and handles so much, that I constantly just wanted to hug her, in a non freaky, too much, kinda way.

I'm going to have to be incredibly careful how I write this review, as there is just so much packed in to the pages, and if I was to let just one thing slip, it could ruin the whole story for someone. So I'm not going to summarise this story, and I feel a little lost, when I don't summarise first, but I can't say anything at all, it's non stop, full on action from the very first page, everything is interlinked to a bigger picture, and anything I could say will have a knock on effect for the rest of the book.

But, what I can say is, this book will seriously tear out your heart, wring it a few times, then put it back in all shrivelled up. Too gross?
I felt like I was constantly battling some weird nasal & eye leakage thing, throughout the WHOLE BOOK. The writing is so beautiful, and honest, and didn't feel like someone had written a book, it really felt like someone trying to tell the story of a friend or relative. The sad and brutal reality of Lia's life, and the events that take place over approximately 2 years, were just heartbreaking. You wouldn't think it could all just keep coming at her, but it does. And sometimes, I could foresee what was coming before it did, and knew it was going to be heartbreaking.

I'm still left thinking about it now, after finishing last night. How one beautiful, talented girl could have so many crappy people in her life, and those people could do so many bad things, that she has to deal with. Yet still come out if it, such an incredibly strong, kind, and awe inspiring woman. Kinda makes you feel a bit crummy about yourself. lol

Anyway, so even though I can't tell you what you are going to get with this book. I can't even talk about the characters without spoiling it. It's on of those books that has to be experienced with no knowledge whatsoever of what you are going in to. I can't see that anyone wouldn't get anything out of this story, it's such a hauntingly beautiful story, and it will stick with me for quite some time. Epic style.




STAR RATINGS:

Plot = 5/5
Characters = 5/5
Heat = 1/5
Writing Style = 10/5
Overall Rating = 5/5






CLICK COVER TO PURCHASE:



No comments:

Post a Comment