Wednesday, July 29, 2015

REVIEW - The Secret Sister - Brenda Novak


TITLE: The Secret Sister
AUTHOR: Brenda Novak




Synopsis:

Did she once have a sister? Has her mother lied all these years? Why? 

After a painful divorce, Maisey Lazarow returns to Fairham, the small island off the South Carolina coast where she grew up. She goes there to heal—and to help her brother, Keith, a deeply troubled man who's asked her to come home. But she refuses to stay in the family house. The last person she wants to see is the wealthy, controlling mother she escaped years ago. 

Instead, she finds herself living next door to someone else she'd prefer to avoid—Rafe Romero, the wild, reckless boy to whom she lost her virginity at sixteen. He's back on the island, and to her surprise, he's raising a young daughter alone. Maisey's still attracted to him, but her heart's too broken to risk… 

Then something even more disturbing happens. She discovers a box of photographs that evoke distant memories of a little girl, a child Keith remembers, too. Maisey believes the girl must've been their sister, but their mother claims there was no sister. 

Maisey's convinced that child existed. So where is she now? 

What I thought?


Holy Cow!!  I loved this book!   Brenda sure knows how to write a well-written detailed interesting story filled with mystery, romance, and a dysfunctional family. I liked the setting, characters, and the plot!

Maisy Lazarow returns to her hometown of Fairham after her divorce to help her heal. She also returns to help her brother, Keith.  Maisy’s mother, Josephine lives in Coldiron House which Maisy doesn’t want to stay there. So she ends of staying in Smuggler’s Cove and the guy next door, Rafe, she knows from when she was 16.   Rafe fixes the bungalows for Josephine.   He ends up finding a box and giving it to Maisy. Inside the box are pictures of a child who is older than Keith.  Maisy think it’s her sister.  She can’t let it go and seeks to find answers. So the story embarks on the journey that you’re going to have to read to find out what happens. 
My favorite character in the book is Rafe. He is taking care of his blind daughter, Laney. He is doing what he can to take care of his daughter and himself.  There is a physical attraction between Rafe and Maisy.    

The ending of The Secret Sister surprised me! 

Pick up this book today and read it to find out what happens as I don’t like to give spoilers! I’d recommend this book to others.


Some quotes/part of the story I liked:



“The future doesn’t have to be a reflection of the past.”
“Because I care about you, and I’m hoping that having a companion will make attending those meetings more…tolerable.”
“I don’t want to discover the truth. That’s why you think I should let this go. You’re afraid of what we’ll find. You should be,too! We need to destroy these pictures right away. No one puts a child’s photographs in a wall and then plasters over them without good reason.”
“I like the way you are with Laney, how you treat her with such inherent kindness. I like the soul of the person who wrote Molly Brimble Conquers the World. I enjoyed seeing the world through the author’s eyes. I like how brave you are, how determined to handle your own problems, even though I wish you’d confide in me. I like that you’re willing to stand up to your mother, when so many people aren’t. You could’ve gone home to her, but you didn’t. I like how, when we’re in bed together, you look at me as if I’m all that matters.”


Star Ratings: 

Plot- 5/5
Heat- 4.5/5
Writing style- 5/5
Overall Rating- 5/5








 CLICK COVER TO PURCHASE:




No comments:

Post a Comment