Tuesday, February 28, 2017

REVIEW - Throne of Truth (Truth and Lies Duet #2) - Pepper Winters





TITLE - Throne of Truth (Truth & Lies Duet #2)
AUTHOR - Pepper Winters








BLURB:


The thrilling conclusion to Crown of Lies from New York Times Bestseller, Pepper Winters

TWO YEARS
Since my life changed for the second time and not necessarily for the better. Two years since I traded prison bars for streets and hunted a runaway who I'd met in an alley.

TWO DAYS
Since I forgot how to lie, woke to fists, and chased after the girl who'd been stolen from me.

TWO HOURS
To save her, rescue her, keep my lies intact. She looks at me full of hate. I look at her full of confession.

TWO MINUTES
For our relationship to switch from mutual dislike to floundering with unknowns. I've hurt her. Now, she's hurt me. I guess we're even.

TWO SECONDS
For her to listen, to see, to finally know who I am. The answer comes with hardship. The answer isn't what she wants to hear.

TWO BREATHS
For me to walk out the door.

TWO HEARTBEATS
For it all to be over. 



REVIEW:




Well, still on the fence with this one. I absolutely adore Pepper Winters, she is one of my current faves, and I still love everything that she writes, as it's always got her 'feel' to it. But I have to admit, the Truth and Lies duet, hasn't been one of my favourites. 


Don't get me wrong, I loved the story and it was still a compelling read. But I think I expected something more, every time the story got to a part where it was getting a bit gritty or exciting, I think I was envisioning something more happening, as it's what I'm used to from PW's other books, but it never really jumped up another notch, or wowed me with a huge twist, or shocker. It just stayed on the same level of content. 

I actually did love Crown of Lies far more than Throne of Truth, the first part to this duet held all the main story, and juicy details. I found it exciting and enjoyed all the crazy hotness between Penn & Elle, but felt like it could of ended of been a one book story, not two. 
Throne of Truth is actually pretty gripping reading for the first chunk, maybe a 1/5th of the book, and I loved that part, but then felt like the rest dragged on. I really can't go into details without spoiling the story, so it's hard for me to back up my thoughts on this book, and I know I'm in the minority when it comes to my thoughts on Throne of Truth, maybe it's my book funk that is doing it. Usually PW can pull me out of my book slump, but I didn't feel this duo actually did it this time, which is a bit disappointing for me. 

Anyway, still a REALLY great book, and the story is gripping, sexy and full of action and angst. Just think it could of been one book instead of two really, with a bit of chopping around. I know that doesn't make much sense, but it's hard to explain. I do love this overall story, just not really sure how I feel about Throne of Truth overall. But I would still 100% recommend it, as it's a truly compelling story and very well written, as always with a Pepper Winters book. 



Star Ratings:
Plot: 3.5/5
Characters: 3.5/5
Heat: 4/5
Writing Style: 4/5
Overall: 3.5-4/5




No comments:

Post a Comment