Sunday, November 6, 2016

REVIEW - Sweet Girl - Sierra Hill



TITLE - Sweet Girl 
AUTHOR - Sierra Hill





Blurb:




Kylah

I’ve always lived in the shadows of my athletic older brother and my charismatic twin sister. And that’s okay by me. I don’t mind being known as the shy wallflower. The gawky geek. The sweet, virginal girl. Well, that’s one label I’ve been trying to shed since starting my freshman year in college this year. The thing is, no one’s ever looked twice at me.

Until I met Van Gerard.

He notices me. He looks at me and seems to like what he sees. He understands and listens to me. He’s become a great friend. The problem is, I don’t want him as a friend.

I want more.

But my brother - along with a state line between us, and oh yeah, Van’s long-time girlfriend - are just a few complications getting in the way of what I want.

Van

I thought my senior year in college would be the best time of my life. I’m a starter on a Pac-12 basketball team, set to graduate with a degree in Finance. I have a girlfriend whom I’d planned to start a future with. I thought my life was already mapped out.

But then the bottom dropped out with a confession I never expected to hear, from the girl I thought I knew.

I thought wrong.

Luckily for me, Kylah Griffin was there to break my fall. She’s the best thing this year has given me. She’s helped me through a devastating blow that could have sent me reeling.

I know she wants more, but I’m not sure I can give it. Now that I’ve been burned, I don’t think I can go there again. Kylah’s not a hook-up, and she’s definitely not a rebound. She’s a sweet girl who deserves more than to be friend-zoned.

If only things weren’t so complicated.




Review:


Seriously from page one I liked where this story was going. I wanted Van and Kylah together like I want coffee in the morning. We learn Van has a girlfriend and it didn’t really sit well with me, but after a little bit I thought screw it, this could be a great one sided love story. Only to take that thought back a few pages later. Van and Kylah’s situation is realistic and I’m sure it happens more than we know.

Kylah wants Van like crazy, she will take him anyway she can have him. Even if it involves the awful title of friend. She's just the sweet girl most guys think of as a sister. All she wants is to be wanted and she wants to be wanted by Van. 

Van has a long term girlfriend. He loves her even if she makes it incredibly difficult. Van has never been tempted to stray from Lyndsay, until Kylah. But it's something he would never act on right? Toss in that Kylah’s brother is one of his best friends, and its a relationship that will never happen. 

When Lyndsay betrays Van in the worst possible way will Kylah become his rebound or his forever? Will the two be able to find their way to each other or are they destined to be apart?

The secondary characters are awesome. Kylah’s polar opposite twin Kady is a ball busting protector. Cade her older brother just wants her happy. Carver is a great friend to both Kylah and Van, and can I just say I cannot wait for his book.

Sweet Girl has a touch of sports (basketball) in the story, which I loved. I am a sucker for a good sports romance. But probably my favorite part of the story was Kylah’s transformation. She went from the awkward shy girl to a confident woman in her own skin.

Here are a few quotes that I liked from Sweet Girl;

“I would also be more than willing to learn how to make a voodoo doll and extol some harsh pain in Lyndsay’s keester.”

“Maybe I’m over-romanticizing this thing between us, but there is a deep connection we share – it’s been there like a magnetic pull since the first time I met her.”


Star Ratings:

Plot- 4/5
Heat- 3/5
Character- 4/5
Writing style- 4/5
Overall- 4/5






No comments:

Post a Comment