Tuesday, September 22, 2015

REVIEW - Make Me Forget - Brandy Lynn





TITLE - Make Me Forget


AUTHOR - Brandy Lynn





Synopsis:




*Inspired by true events*

Where do you turn when the ones who are supposed to love you most, hurt you? 

When is enough, enough? 

That is the exact question Chloe Evans had when she escaped her own personal hell that terrifying night. Even though the road to rebuilding her life has been tough, she's spent the last few years trying to mend her battered soul. Doubting that all her efforts are even worth it, she begins to feel she will forever be tied to the man who took everything away from her.

Ryder Matthews is the epitome of what most girls associate with perfection. With his good looks, bad boy persona, multiple tattoos and piercings he is every girl’s fantasy; every girl except Chloe Evans that is. Ryder sees Chloe as a challenge...one that he's more than confident he will win.

Drew Nichols is every girls dream guy. He’s sweet, sincere, trusting, and most of all patient. He’s exactly what Chloe needs in her life, but is he who she wants? 

We all have things in life we'd like to forget about. Some bigger than others. When Chloe uses college as her diversion to escape the memories, will either of them be able to make her forget?





My Review:




Make Me Forget is a story that contains some rough content. Warning that it does contain some descriptive language that can be unpleasant. The author does mention that this contains mature subject matter, but I believe she should also include a warning that this book contains content which might cause triggers or mental distress. With that being said, the content is very descriptive, but I think it is used in a way that helps tell the story and is not disrespectful.

I really liked the plot of this story, but I feel like too much was happening at once. The plot changed over the course of the book and I felt that instead of the plot changing, this book could have easily been two, maybe even three books. I also would have loved to see some of the minor characters getting their own books as well and turning this into a series. With that being said, the content of the book was good. I really liked where the author was taking me. I just wish we could have finished the first journey before taking a sharp left into another one.
The author was able to use her words well.  I think the author was able to describe scenes to me in a way that I could actually picture the scenes playing out in my head. I love when a book can do that. Even though some scenes brought about some negative feelings, I was still able to picture them in my head, which brought out a lot of emotions within me.

The main characters are developed a little fast in my opinion, but they are developed. Ryder starts off as a playboy rock star who sleeps with anything and everything. Throughout the book we are able to learn through both his pov and the other main character’s, Chloe, pov why he acts the way he does. Chloe develops herself. After a rough childhood, she is a freshman in college. She had a new best friend and is learning how to deal with having a social life. We are able to see her change throughout the book as well, going from a shy freshman, to becoming a woman. With that being said, I also think her development was rushed. I was actually surprised at times due to her actions. It was contrary to how I felt she would have really acted.

This book was not only told from 2 pov, but 3. Drew is another man who is interested in Chloe. We are able to see certain parts of the book from his pov. I understand that the author wanted to show parts of the book through his eyes, which is nice, but I think it also was confusing at times. It took away from the story because we are reading about Ryder and Chloe and we randomly get to also read Drew’s thoughts. I think that this would have been handled better if they concluded the first book, then had Drew explain his pov in a novella or second book.

Overall, I really did think that this book had a good direction going and I liked the plot. I just wish it was separated into at least two different books so that it didn’t feel so rushed. I wanted to really have a minute to bask in the conclusion of the first plot, but was instead thrusted into a second plot. Unfortunately, I would probably not recommend this book to my friends because the ending left me disappointed. Although I liked the way the author was able to describe each scene, this was not enough to make this book a must read for me.


Favorite Quote:


“No problem, princess. I’ll always catch you when you fall.” Make Me Forget




Star Ratings:
Plot = 3/5
Characters = 3/5
Heat = 3/5
Writing Style = 2/5
Overall Rating = 2.5/5








CLICK COVER TO PURCHASE:




No comments:

Post a Comment