Thursday, September 24, 2015

REVIEW - Storm (Ashes & Embers #1) - Carian Cole




TITLE - Storm (Ashes & Embers #1)


AUTHOR - Carian Cole






Synopsis:



The calm before the storm…

I lived in the quiet stillness. 
I felt the wind rustle, warning me, telling me to get out of its path.

But I didn’t.
I never stood a chance.

A series of weather and road mishaps leaves me trapped in the middle of a blizzard with a complete stranger. In the back of a pickup truck. For forty-eight freakin’ hours.

A stranger with long hair, tattoos, and rippling with muscle. 

A stranger with an insanely sexy voice and a wicked smile that turned my insides to jelly. 

A stranger who held me in his arms, calmed me, and then set a fire in me that I couldn’t put out.

Storm lives up to his name. Beautiful. Dangerously inviting. Tumultuous. Dark. A clash of hot and cold.

He’s used to getting everything he wants.

And now he wants me.

Some people chase storms for the beautiful thrill. What happens when the storm chases you?



My Review:



Storm is book one in the Ashes and Embers series by Carian Cole. 
This is a sweet and funny, yet sometimes frustrating tale about two people who meet by chance and learn that there may be more to life than what they originally thought. 

This story follows Evelyn aka Evie and Storm. Take a woman who is lost, a sexy stranger to offer a helping hand, and a blizzard and you have more than one type of storm brewing.

First let me say that I actually really enjoyed this book. I wasn’t sure about it at first, but it grew on me rather quickly. I did not read the blurb for the book so I had no clue what I had gotten myself into, but I was pleased with the result. Some of my favorite scenes from this book actually come from the beginning of the book. Evelyn and Storms interactions while they were still pretty much strangers was great and I loved their snarky, bickering dynamic. The way they meet is wonderful and I enjoyed watching the story evolve.

The plot of this book was pretty good as well. With that being said, it was a little predictable at times, but nevertheless, I enjoyed it. There were also parts of the story that didn’t sit well with me. There were some contradictions between what Evelyn was saying and the actions she was taking. I would have liked to see that written a bit differently, but really that was the only criticism for the plot of the book that I found.

This story is told from Evelyn's pov only. I would love to read some parts from Storms pov in the future. With that being said, we are able to watch Evelyn grow and develop throughout the story. I think we can kind of see this with Storm too, but mainly we are getting Evelyn. I really liked some of the internal battles Evelyn is having. I feel like they are relatable to my own life. She has some of the same concerns I have had in my relationships.

Heat. There is so much heat in this book. The hottest part of the book for me was a scene near the beginning. It was so sensual. I could feel the electricity just from reading about it. This scene in particular (I do not want to give anything away) will stick with me for a long time. There is no absence of heat where this book is concerned.

Overall, I was pulled in from the beginning. This book captured my attention and would not let me be until I finished the last words. The dynamics between the two characters was electrifying and wonderful. Great job to Carian Cole for writing a very entertaining and enrapturing book.




Star Ratings:
Plot = 4/5
Characters = 4/5
Heat = 5/5
Writing Style = 4/5
Overall Rating = 4/5



Favorite Quotes:

“Oh, so murdering psychopaths announce their intentions to their victims now?... Excuse me, miss, but I shall commence killing you now. Ok. Pease, remain in the vehicle until I have reached the designated killing area.” Evelyn

“Heels, Who the hell wears heels in weather like this?” Storm

“You’re thinking about what I said…wondering if it’s true. Is it real love, or is it just a comfortable rut?” Storm









CLICK COVER TO PURCHASE:



No comments:

Post a Comment