Tuesday, March 15, 2016

Review - Stone's Throw by Debbie De Louise

Title - A Stone's Throw
Author - Debbie De Louise





Synopsis

Widowed librarian Alicia Fairmont needs answers… After her husband is killed in a hit and run accident, Alicia travels upstate to his hometown of Cobble Cove, New York, hoping to locate his estranged family and shed light on his mysterious past. Anticipating staying only a weekend, her visit is extended when she accepts a job at the town’s library. Secrets stretch decades into the past… Assisted by handsome newspaper publisher and aspiring novelist, John McKinney, Alicia discovers a connection between her absent in-laws and a secret John’s father has kept for over sixty years. But her investigation is interrupted when she receives word her house has burned and arson is suspected, sending her rushing back to Long Island, accompanied by John. Back in Cobble Cove, cryptic clues are uncovered… When Alicia returns, she finds a strange diary, confiscated letters, and a digital audio device containing a recording made the day her husband was killed. Anonymous notes warn Alicia to leave town, but she can’t turn her back on the mystery—or her attraction to John. As the pieces begin to fall into place, evidence points to John’s involvement in her husband’s accident. The past and present threaten to collide, and Alicia confronts her fears… Has she fallen in love with her husband’s killer?



What I Thought

A Stone’s Throw is about a woman named Alicia Fairmont who works at a library. Her husband Peter was killed in a hit and run in New York.  When Peter was alive he never discussed his family members just told Alicia they weren’t close. She wants to get closure so she goes to Cobble Cove which is where Peter grew up to see if she can locate anyone. 
 
Throughout the story, meet different supporting characters. I liked reading about John who writes the local newspaper of Cobble Cove Courier.   Alicia and John can talk easily with each other. They have a few things in common.   Strange things start to happen and that’s when the story gets mysterious and interesting.

This is the first book I’ve read by Debbie De Louise. Her writing style is very detailed and the characters would seem like they are real life. I really liked the fact that I could read and imagine myself right there with the characters.  My favorite part of the story was the cute road names that are in Cobble Cove.  A Stone’s Throw is a love story and mystery rolled into one. I never expected what happened.  The title is perfect for this story. I’m glad I read it and I can’t wait to read more by this author!
 
Quotes/Parts of the story I liked:

“But everything happens for a reason. As you grow older, you’ll learn that saying is true.”
 
“You’re talking about closure. I know all about that. I’m not giving you any advice because it’s ultimately up to you, Ali, but in my opinion, if Peter was so set against you knowing anything about his family, you might be sorry to start digging in that soil.”
 
“I think my parents chose our house because of it’s cute street name and also because everything is only a stone’s throw away from it.”
 
Plot- 4/5
Characters- 4/5
Heat- 1/5
Writing Style-4/5
Overall Rating- 4/5 





No comments:

Post a Comment