Friday, October 27, 2017

REVIEW - Kismet - April Canavan




TITLE - Kismet
AUTHOR - April Canavan







BLURB:




Birch County is a beautiful place to live. Along the rocky coast of Maine, its residents are used to a peaceful life. 
Maya, a police dispatcher by trade, is one of them. Until the night she's attacked in her own home. In the aftermath of her attack, she struggles to love not only herself but to love someone else as well. 
Brian has seen terrible things during his time as a deputy in Birch County, but nothing prepares him for the attack on one of his own. 
While Maya struggles to find her own sense of normal, Brian and the other members of Birch County Sheriff's Department must figure out who her attacker was, before he comes back to finish the job. 




Jennifer's Review:



Holy wow! Thriller romance at its best. I don’t know what I expected when I read this book, but I got way more than I thought I was going to get. Kismet is a romantic thriller. There is quite a bit of mystery within the book. The author did an amazing job of having an overall plot while also intertwining a subplot into the story as well.


The plot of this book is simple. A woman is being stalked by a psycho. While this is happening, she also has her romantic life going on. I think this author did a good job of making the book mostly about the stalker, while also showing that people change after traumatic things happen to them. Sometimes what was important to them before, gets mixed up in their heads. 

Maya is a strong character. She had to go through so much in this book. I am really proud of the way the author wrote her character. I think she is one of the best female characters I have ever read. Brian was a bit of a jerk at some points. I liked him overall, but I also wanted to throttle him at some points of the book. With that being said, I do feel he was a realistic character and I feel he made improvements throughout the book.

The heat in this book was good, but there was only a small portion. There is a very good reason for this. This book discusses a sensitive topic that might be a trigger for some people. I feel the heat included in this book was done so in a tasteful manner. I think that it was a good addition and showed a positive in all the negative that was surrounding these characters.

The writing style was okay. I liked the book overall, but felt things were a bit messy. I also had issues with some of the minor characters. I felt they were a bit over the top about certain things. I did think the pace was right for the book. I felt the fast paced thriller feeling from it. I also liked that the author wrote in such vivid details that I could feel my heart race along with Maya. I felt my heart break as well. 

Overall, I enjoyed this book. The plot was amazing. I loved Maya. She is a character I will not soon forget. I would recommend this book to others, especially those who like some mystery and action in their book. I would warn some to avoid this book if you have any triggers. This book does contain some sensitive topics.



Star Ratings:
Plot: 5/5
Characters: 4/5
Heat: 5/5
Writing Style: 4/5
Overall: 4/5





No comments:

Post a Comment