Wednesday, October 24, 2018

REVIEWS - Off the Ice - L.P. Dover

40711876


Title: Off the Ice
Author: L.P. Dover

Blurb:


He’s always made the scoring plays, both on and off the ice, but this time he has a new goal … the one for Meghan’s heart. 


I’m Justin Davis, all-star center for the Charlotte Strikers. For years, I chased the spotlight, not only with hockey, but through television as well. That’s why I decided to play the bachelor on Rich and Single. Unfortunately, I was stuck with a fake fiancĂ©e from hell who I couldn’t stand to be around. Now that our contract is up, I’m allowed to do whatever I want, with whoever I want. I plan to take full advantage of my newfound freedom. 


After being on the show, people don’t recognize me for hockey anymore, even with just winning the Stanley Cup for my team. That’s why I’m spending the off season in a remote cabin in Wyoming where the chances of people knowing me are slim. Space is what I need, but when a down to earth beauty needs help on her ranch, I can’t resist. Meghan Taylor is exactly what I’ve been looking for, even though I’m not the kind of man she wants. 


Getting her to see the real me has its challenges, but the more time I spend with her, the easier it is for her to see that I’m not the same guy she knows from TV. Being away from the media is one thing, but as soon as I’m back in the spotlight, I’m afraid it’ll change what we have. I don’t want to lose her, but I also can’t hide away in Wyoming forever. It’s a choice I’m not ready to make.


Our Reviews:

“Love off the ice, 5 stars”

Justin has had one heck of a year and he’s ready for some alone time. Time to really find himself again and figure out what he wants. What he didn’t expect was to find Meghan. They form an unlikely friendship that morphs into more. But when the time comes for the summer to end will they be able to last or will they both have to walk away? Justin loves the ice, but does he love Meghan more?
Meghan knew who Justin was when she first met him, but that didn’t make her treat him any different than a normal person. She has just a few short weeks to get her ranch back in order before school starts and her daughter comes home. It’s time Meghan make some me time and for her that involves Justin. What she never saw coming was actually falling for the man. Will she be able to give love a second chance?
I loved these two. I loved how they accepted each other and went for honesty right out the gate. They didn’t bother with false pretenses and just jumped into getting to know each other. It was refreshing. Then you have all the secondary characters who amped up the story, like Meghan’s daughter who made it hard not to love her.
One of my favorite things about Dover is her stories go by fast without skipping over anything. True page turners and Off the Ice is just that. Find out if another one of her hockey guys falls in love, go one-click.
Plot-5/5
Characters-5/5
Heat-5/5
Writing style-5/5
Overall-5/5


This is the fourth book in the Breakaway series, but my first time reading this author and series. I'm a fan of hockey romance though, so I may have to go back and get the rest! I loved the themes of standing up for yourself and what makes you happy and what is right and learning to be the best you at the time. And of course, falling in love when you least expect it.

This book combined some of my favorite things: hockey, hot men, lovely scenery, cowboys, strong women, moms, family, and loyalty. Justin and Meghan have to overcome lots of challenges in their past to make a future work. Justin's learned that a hockey player in the spotlight of a reality show needs some down time in his secretly purchased Wyoming ranch while he figures out how to find love, real love. And things will happen when you least expect them.

Ya'all, Justin is the thing of book boyfriend material for sure. Hot, hockey star with a heart of gold. He's a genuinely good guy who has been burned trying to do something he thought he'd enjoy. Meghan is so very different from the life he had been living. Settled in Wyoming on a ranch of her own, happy to take hikes and enjoy the simple life; she's just what Justin has been looking for. But her desire to keep their relationship out of the media could throw a wrench in their story. I loved how Justin showed his maturity throughout the novel and was just such a great guy. And Meghan showed the great spirit of the often forgotten and overlooked fly-over states. You rooted for them the whole book.

Hello hot hockey pucks! Justin and Meghan may start off slow and without too much fanfare, but no one can deny the desire is there from the beginning. Justin proves he's more than just a friendly new neighbour, he's handy with his um, hammer? Or stick? Either way, their time in Wyoming is good for both of them and is very well written.

This was a fast paced book that incorporated more than just a stereotypical hockey romance. I loved the Wyoming setting to give the book a more well rounded and settled base. The characters were good people, without being boring. They were fun to read and this book gave us a great mash-up of Wyoming cowboy/hockey/reality star.

I can't wait to go back and read the first three books in this series. Hockey romance is my only to get my hockey fix and Miss Dover takes care of that quite well. I'm hoping to add this series to my other favorite hockey series by Sarina Bowen and Catherine Gayle. They all write great hockey with well rounded characters and invented amazing families and worlds.

Favorite Quotes:

“Something inside me felt different, but I couldn't figure out what it was. All I knew was that things were about to change, only I didn't know how.”

“All I've wanted to do since I met you was kiss you, but I know I have no right to. We're friends, and I respect that.”

“I'd never felt so at peace in a place before.”

“His smile made the butterflies come back. I'd missed that feeling. With him, I felt them every day.”



Star Ratings:
Plot = 5/5 
Characters = 5/5 
Heat = 5/5 
Writing Style = 5/5 
Overall Rating = 5/5








No comments:

Post a Comment