Wednesday, June 27, 2018

REVIEW - Counterfeit Boyfriend - Cindi Madsen


 

Title: COUNTERFEIT BOYFRIEND

Author: Cindi Madsen

Genre: Contemporary Romance

 

About Counterfeit Boyfriend:


My twin brother’s talked me into a lot of crazy things, but taking his place on a road trip with his girlfriend so he can party with his friends is a whole new level of insanity. What’s even more insane is I somehow find myself agreeing to it—thanks, alcohol, guilt, and bribery. I’m determined to undo the arrangement, but then I meet Gwen, this sexy redheaded hurricane of energy and brains.

And then she kisses me. Just like that, I’m driving her up the coast, on our way to a wedding with a mess of complications. With each hour and each stop, I’m falling harder and harder for a woman who doesn’t know my actual name.

I’m trying to do the right thing. Or the lesser of the wrong things. All my life I’ve had to clean up my brother’s messes, but for the first time ever, I’ve landed the upper hand in one of our switcheroo schemes. Now I’ve just got to come clean and convince Gwen that I’m the brother she should be with.


Our Review:



Counterfeit Boyfriend is a fun and quick read. How much trouble are those twins going to cause? When will Gwen figure it out? It's a quirky and fun tale that I had a blast reading.

Evan convinces his twin brother Ethan to take his place on a weekend road trip with his girlfriend. Once the road trip begins, with reservations from all parties, we have to see how the truth will come out. There are entertaining twists and details while the two take on the road in a Camaro.

Those twins! Boys! (As a mom of two of the endearing creatures, I think I can say that....though luckily mine aren't twins.) Ethan is the responsible brother, who goes along with his carefree brother Evan's plans and gets caught up in the crazy. I loved how he tried to be a good man to his brother's poor girlfriend, despite the deceitful start. Girlfriend Gwen is adorable in her quick talking “hurricane of energy.” During their time on the road, Gwen and Ethan have an easy give and take that speaks to a level of adult ready for a relationship.

Ethan and Gwen started, of course, with a bit of awkwardness as one would imagine. But within minutes, Ethan finds Gwen endearing and sparks fly. You can quickly tell that Gwen and Ethan are going to work out much better than Gwen and Evan were. I love the way these two work there relationship during this road trip. Road trips are great for couples!

Ms. Madsen has a fun writing style. I loved all the references to super heroes and movie quotes. “My decision-making skills may be impaired, but he'd never take my freedom!” I was laughing in so many places due to the fun quotes-seriously, that quoted line is something my bizarre group of friends would say too. The writing was not only fun, but flowed so nicely.

I had a lot of fun reading this book. I was quickly rooting for Ethan and Gwen, while simultaneously dreading the moment Gwen found out it was Ethan not Evan. And Evan, man, you spend the whole book kinda hating the dude (because he's acting like a dude). I really hope Evan does some growing up and gets a book of his very own with a girl who is right for him.


Star Ratings:
Plot = 4/5 
Characters = 5/5
 Heat = 4/5
 Writing Style = 5/5
 Overall Rating = 5/5




No comments:

Post a Comment