Friday, June 29, 2018

REVIEW - House of Imperial - Jaymin Eve

40128630

Title: House of Imperial

Author: Jaymin Eve

 

About House of Imperial:


Callie has spent her life moving towns every four months in a bid to “stay off the grid." Her only family is a paranoid mother who believes there’s a race of supernatural beings out there actively searching for Callie. A race who could destroy Earth if they get their hands on her. Callie’s never seen one thing to suggest there’s any truth to mom’s insane ramblings, and at the age of eighteen now, she’s grown numb to her reality – she’s never going to have a normal life.


That is, until they move to New Orleans. The moment Callie steps foot into the Quarter, hears the jazz music, feels the soul of the city, the cold shell she’s built to protect herself starts to thaw.

Then they come for her. 

Turns out her mom’s stories are quite real, and whatever happens, Callie’s empty world will never be the same again.

Our Review:

More? Please? Now? Those were my thoughts when I finished House of Imperial. I enjoyed the first book, but this one really took the cake for me. I think it was because I already knew about the world so I was able to embrace it a bit more. Or maybe it was just because I had a thing for Daniel. Either way, this book was on fire. Pun intended.
I really thought this book would be much the same as the first. The underlying plot was the same, while the major plot was progressing. With that being said, this book was not just a repeat of the first. The author was able to change up the structure and really make this book new and interesting, while still sticking to the main plot of the series.
Callie is a bad chick. I love her attitude and fight. She is truly a strong character. I totally look up to her. Daniel is hot as ever. I love that he is all broody and hardcore. He is a strong character as well, but not only physically. His mental strength is just as amazing as his physical. I love that we were able to get to know him more in this book.
Oh my goodness. The heat in this book. Get me a fan. These two don’t have the best beginnings, but it helped add to tension in the book. This lead to some hard-core resistance, but also some amazingly sweet scenes that add a certain sizzle. Now this book has a more muted heat that you normally find in borderline YA/NA books.
The writing style in this book is good. The pace is steady. I got my lunch scene I wanted so thank you for that. We were able to see some of the characters from the first book as well. This book gives us more of Overworld as well. The author really created a whole world that makes me want to jump in and embrace it.
Overall, this was an amazing book. I am already jonesing for the next one. I want to know more about the girl who is going to wreak havoc for our calm, cool, collected Chase. I also can’t wait for the last book. While I know the action will continue to build, I am really invested in these characters and their love story. If we have any luck, the author will give us an epic epilogue that tells us how each character is doing.
Star Ratings:
Plot: 5/5
Characters: 5/5
Heat: 5/5
Writing Style: 5/5
Overall: 5/5


No comments:

Post a Comment