Friday, June 1, 2018

REVIEW - House of Darken - Jaymin Eve


36161602

TITLE - House of Darken
SERIES- Secret Keepers Book 1
AUTHOR - Jaymin Eve







Blurb:


When Emma moves to Astoria, Oregon, she is given two rules: 


#1 – Don’t cross to “their” side of the street. 

#2 – Don’t mess with the elites, especially Lexen Darken, top elite and resident bad boy. 

While she finds this both weird and insulting, Emma has no actual intention of breaking these rules - until her guardians go missing. Now all bets are off. Only a single line separates her side of the street from the elites', and she's crossing it.

Captured and held by Lexen and his brothers, she learns the rules are in place for a very good reason. There's a secret world hidden in this small town which goes far beyond the one she knows and understands. 

A world not for humans.



Jennifer's Review:




OBSESSED! I am completely and utterly OBSESSED with this book. Once I started this book, I could not put it down. I literally stayed up way past my bedtime because I just had to finish this book. It has everything that I love in a story. There is mystery, action, attraction, and romance. What I love even more is that this book is the first in what I assume will be 4 and that makes me beyond excited.
The plot of this book is what caught my attention and drew me in. What is going on in Astoria? That is the main question on Emma’s mind as she moves into this small town. Add in the fact that she needs to start a new school? Well that is just a recipe for drama all on its own. I thought the plot of this book was written very well.
Emma is an amazing character. She was written in such a way that I was able to identify with her. What I loved most about her was the complete heartbreak she felt. There were many times I teared up for her. Despite that heartache, she was still able to remain strong and be a fierce, independent woman. Then you have Lexen. Man he is a jerk. At least he is a jerk with a reason. I actually loved his character. I saw what Emma wasn’t able to see. Lexen uses his attitude and control to shield him from the outside world. I loved reading about his character.
The heat in this book is there. Emma is immediately attracted to the Darken boys. She sees what all other humans see. Gorgeous, model like teens. There is one Darken she is attracted to most. Lexen. Every time she is around him, she either wants to hit him or kiss him. That burning passion leads to some very hot scenes with a ton of chemistry.
The writing style of this book is good. The pace was a bit fast for my liking, but it didn’t take anything away from the story. I thought everything about this story was done very well. I love that at the end, the story ends on a sort of happy ending, but also alludes to the second book. My only complaint in the entire book is that I wanted to see more of the “after” school life. We see quite a bit of the school life before the big climax, but I wanted to see more of the after, specifically maybe a lunch room scene. Once you read it, you will get it. Hopefully in the future the author writes a novella with bonus scenes.
Overall, I fell in love with this story. It is rare I preorder books without actually knowing much about it or the author. I did just that when I picked up this book and boy am I glad I trusted my instincts. This book rocked my world and even though the second book is supposed to be released in just a month, I think I might drive myself crazy waiting for it. I need to know what happens next!
Ratings:
Plot: 5/5
Characters: 5/5
Heat: 5/5
Writing Style: 5/5
Overall: 5/5





No comments:

Post a Comment