Monday, August 24, 2015

REVIEW - Divine Vices - Melissa Parkin



TITLE - Divine Vices


AUTHOR - Melissa Parkin



Release Date - September 29th 2015


Synopsis:


The last thing sixteen-year-old Cassie Foster needs is trouble, but that doesn’t stop him from finding her. 

Nine months after the tragic accident that killed her mother and sister, this high school junior just wants a fresh start. Settling down in the quiet town of New Haven, Maine, she’s found peace at last…until the new resident bad boy, Jackson Matthews, comes into the picture. Arrogant, sarcastic, and devastatingly sexy, he’s the very last thing Cassie wants to entertain. Romance was never part of the plan. But when terrifying circumstances drive these two together, she finds herself further in over her head than thought possible. As local girls begin disappearing, Cassie can’t help but wonder if it’s just a coincidence that everything started when this blue-eyed Casanova strolled into town. Will falling into Jackson’s arms mean she’ll be falling victim to a real lady-killer…or worse?

The answer will open the door to a world she never thought possible.



My Review:


Divine Vices is a paranormal romance that I would put in a YA category. 
This book has a real mystery feel to it, which I personally love. There is plenty of action and paranormal activity along with some definite twists. This is Book 1 in a series so be prepared to be left wanting more.

Divine Vices is about a 16 year old who is struggling in life after the devastating loss of her mother and twin sister. She is dealing with issues related to coping with grief. She has two best friends who love her and are trying their best to support her. I love her best friends because they stick by her no matter what. I think the author did a great job by having these two characters in the book by Cassie’s side.

What did I loved most about this book? The plot twists. This book is far from predictable, which surprised me thoroughly. I was totally expecting a different ending, but I am not disappointed. The way the author uncovers more of the story at a slow pace is delectable. It is like watching a flower in slow bloom. You want to see more, but you also know if it is rushed it will end too soon and you won't truly be able to enjoy its beauty. Oh and the major plot line was on point. I never saw the ending coming and when I got to it, I had to reread it a couple of times before I could truly believe what I read. The author went there and I loved every minute of it.

The character development was crazy in this book, but in a very good way. Jackson is the new boy in school who takes an instant liking to Cassie. Jackson is mysterious on his own, so when we get to see him interact with Cassie, it has readers on the edge of their seats. Part of me wondered if Cassie was involving an innocent teen boy in her crazy life. Then there is Ian, her best friend. For a while, I wasn’t sure what was going on with him, but by the end of the book, I liked him.
The only thing I didn’t like about the book is that we didn’t really see her father as much as I thought we would. Cassie is going through a devastating time, and I thought that maybe her father would check in a bit more with her since she is all he has left. With that being said, the author did show that he cared in other ways and this was just a minor issues that was personal for me, and might not effect others.

Overall, Divine Vices was a great book. When I agreed to read it, I didn’t read the blurb and opted to be surprised by the book. I do this sometimes to truly get a feel for the authors writing. I was not disappointed. At first, I wasn’t sure what to expect, but I was pleasantly surprised as events unfolded. I would recommend this book to others who like YA Paranormal Romance.


Star Ratings:
Plot = 5/5
Characters = 4/5
Heat = 3/5
Writing Style = 5/5
Overall Rating = 4/5



Favorite Quotes:

“As Franklin P. Jones would have said, ‘The trouble with being punctual is that nobody’s there to appreciate it.’”

“I love it when you talk like that.” 

– Cassie and Ian, Divine Vices

“Because, guys like you make women feel inferior. An that standard is complete horse pucky! If a man has countless partners, he’s honored with the distinguished label of ‘Casanova,’ but if a woman has even a quarter of those encounters, she’s immediately deemed as an ‘Untouchable.”

– Gwen, Divine Vices

“.. And secondly I can think of plenty of other things I would rather do to occupy my time than wasting it with you.”

“Like what?” he smirked.

“Gee, I don’t know. Sticking a paperclip into an electrical outlet. Playing in traffic. Laying out on the railroad tracks, perhaps. All would be better choices than you.”

– Cassie and Jackson, Divine Vices.











No comments:

Post a Comment