Tuesday, November 17, 2015

REVIEW - Drakon - Reveca Beauregard




TITLE - Drakon


AUTHOR - Reveca Beauregard





Synopsis:


Scarlett Kingfin was forced to run when her life went up in flames, literally. Her home was scorched, and her sister was missing. She was armed with nothing more than a set of coordinates and a fierce temper. 
Her twisted path led Scarlett right into the lair of Draxton Drakon, the ruling alpha dragon shifter of the Drakon Clan. His kind owned the seas. Sailing through mystic barriers, they often returned home with their spoils—to the home Scarlett had forgotten. Much like she had forgotten she was his mate, the missing half to his fiery soul. 
Strife, tension, and undeniable magnetism stand between the lovers when they’re face to face again. Her presence not only represents a broken royal vow, but also spurs a wicked prophecy of a lethal war between the immortals. Explosions, kidnappings, unveiled truths, and twisted rivalry shroud Draxton and Scarlett's every step. Their dragons deep within are invincible. Will the hearts of the man and woman be strong enough to survive the hell their rise will inflame?



My Review:



Drakon drew me in from the first chapter. Jamie Magee does not have any trouble creating another world. The beginning is a nice way to show what some of the main elements of the book are. Readers are thrust into a world of magic and dragons that are not a part of our world (mortals). This is known as the natural realm and is referenced several times throughout the book.


This book was good, but not great. I loved the plot idea. Just reading the blurb made me want to love this book. Unfortunately, I felt this book fell short of the mark. I think Jamie did a great job painting a world of dragons and magic in my mind. I could really fall in love with this aspect of the book. I feel she fell flat with the mortal world aspect. The book, at times, moved too fast for me to keep up. One minute we are at destination A then the next we are at C with little to no knowledge of how we bypassed B. I think that this confused me and took some of my interest away.


There is a lot of hot sex in this book. With that being said, it seemed a bit much for me. I like hot sex scenes as much as the next girl, but they have to be done in the right way. I feel like that first time they have sex as mortals was too much too soon. I get where the author was trying to go with it, but for me, I think the first sex scene should’ve happened later in the book. The sex scene itself was done in a good way and I enjoyed it.


This story is told from Dual POV. At times, this becomes confusing. I was not always sure which POV I was reading. I had to guess based on context or wait until someone else came into the picture. This complicated the book for me. I like it to be clear whose head I am in. I like the dual POV and prefer them over single or multiple POV, but I feel this one was done in a way that confuses readers. I think cleaning this part of the book up, would affect the book a great deal and improve the complexity of the book.


The characters are interesting. Drakon knows about the natural realm and that he is a dragon. He knows why he can feel another part inside of him. Scarlett does not. Scarlett left the natural realm by accident and knows nothing about the other realm. From what I gather, this is on purpose. She traveled here with her sister and parents, and it seems that they never told her about this world. Especially her sister since after their parents disappeared, her sister took care of her. Drakon is an Alpha in all the right ways. He is a take command type of guy. I found his assertiveness to be a huge turn on.


Overall, I liked the characters and the idea of where the plot was going, but I just felt this book didn’t hit its mark with me. I felt this was a complicated book to follow and I would need to read it another time or two before I can fully understand what the author is trying to do. I would not recommend this book to my friends at this time. I really wanted to like this book, I just couldn’t really get into it.





Favourite Quotes:



“Knowing Byron, he would hit it dry in a bar bathroom and still not let me onboard.”- Scarlett, Drakon

“Nice Spread. One might think you were trying to overcompensate for something else, Jack.”-Scarlett, Drakon

“I never called you a whore,” he nearly yelled.
“Why would you ask a girl you just met how many hookups she’s had if you were not weighing the risk factors—Trying to figure out how tight to wrap it?”- Drakon and Scarlett, Drakon






Star Ratings:

Plot = 4/5
Characters = 4/5
Heat = 3/5
Writing Style = 2/5
Overall Rating = 3/5









CLICK COVER TO PURCHASE:


No comments:

Post a Comment