Monday, November 9, 2015

REVIEW - If You Dare (Deanna Madden #3) - A.R. Torre



TITLE - If You Dare (Deanna Madden #3)


AUTHOR - A.R. Torre




(Releases Nov 10th)

Synopsis:



Equal parts Dexter and 50 Shades, this is the eagerly awaited new novel from A. R. Torre, author of the award winning erotic thriller, The Girl in 6E.

The rules are the same. I can't open the door. I can't leave. I can't kill anyone.

The only difference is, I don't set the rules anymore. Guards in grey uniforms do. It is everything I never wanted and everything I always deserved. I write to you now, from a prison cell. My home for the next twenty to thirty years.

That's the going term for murder.


My Review:


I read this last night when I couldn't sleep, and I'm not entirely sure if my half asleep state was beneficial to my overall comprehension, or not. 
I have to be honest, I didn't enjoy If You Dare quite as much as the other two books in this series. Don't get me wrong, it was still epic, it just didn't leave me as wowed and wired as book #1 & #2.

I can't give much of a summary on If You Dare, as it will completely spoil this story. Basically, it is book 3 and although it continues the story of Deanna Madden, Cam Girl Extraordinaire, it is another story in her life and not really continuing anything significant from book 2 or 1. BUT I would definitely say read the other 2 first, to really understand Deanna and her situation, which is completely unique. 

I absolutely love Deanna, she is one of my favourite female characters. She is so different, and doesn't care. She is refreshing and you never know what she will do next. Not only does she work as a Cam Girl, which I have to point out she is one of the best. She is also on a self imposed house arrest, which is why she does the Cam work, so she can stay in her flat and NEVER leave. She can't allow herself to be around others, as it kicks off her obsession with killing. Yep unique obsession there, and it's really not an empty threat with Deanna. It's definitely for the best that she holes up in her flat, with all her rules. 
All except for the one who got through, Jeremy. The parcel delivery guy who eventually broke through her hard exterior after trying for so long, and became the only person she allowed into her flat. 

In If You Dare, things are very different. For starters it alternates chapters in time jumps from scenes a few weeks before, and scenes in the present. Something bad happened, and now Deanna is finally heading to the one place she can never leave. Prison. But she has no memories of what happened to put her in there. So we have to piece together from the past and the present, what happened that night. 

In the trademark perfect mix of dark and thrilling mystery, we find out what has happened to Deanna this time, and what her fate will be. To start with it was a little confusing, with the time jumps, and a little slow. But it didn't take long for it to pick up, and it was literally grip the kindle tension. I didn't guess the twist in the story, so that was a complete bonus. And it was completely satisfying. 

The ending I'm not entirely sure on. It was done perfectly and I can see why it was done that way. But, I did feel a little lost, and unsatisfied. I wanted more, but I know it can't always be the way. I just hope that Deanna gets an outing again, somewhere down the line. 

Ooo did I mention sexy psych doc Derek was hot. Would of liked more of him!! And Mike was funny and perfect as always. Would like to have seen more of him in this too. 

So final conclusion, a definite must read for Deanna Madden fans. This was again, a perfect mix of clever storylines and gripping writing from A.R. Torre. A fantastic series all round!!


STAR RATINGS:

Plot = 5/5
Characters = 5/5
Heat = 2/5
Writing Style = 5/5
Overall Rating = 4/5








CLICK COVER TO PURCHASE:





No comments:

Post a Comment