Thursday, July 27, 2017

REVIEW - Devil - Ker Dukey




TITLE - Devil
AUTHOR - Ker Dukey 









BLURB:


DEVIL. 

A DARK SUSPENSE NOVEL.


Evi Devil.
Yes, that’s really my name.
The irony is not lost on me.
I was created from two evil souls and have the name to prove it.
Devil worshipers, perverts, murderer. Is all terms used to describe the parents I refuse to remember. My mind won’t allow me to.
And why would I want to?
One born of dirty blood running through her veins can never truly be clean from its murky hue.
No matter what they try to tell me happened in my past, my mind denies me access, therefore how can I know it’s true?
How can I believe that’s what I’m born from?
Glimpses of my past haunt me, the screams of terror echo in the silent darkness of my memories, trying to remind me that my Mother went from room to room butchering our family.
I’ve learned from scars that I suffered abuse and that my Father and siblings weren’t my Mother’s only victims.
Hearing what they tell me.
Reading the words printed in the papers. None of it can prepare me for what’s to come.
My biggest lesson is learning that some memories we suppress for a reason.
 





REVIEW:


“A mind screw, 4 stars”

I honestly don’t know what I just read. Devil made my brain all foggy. It’s a mix of suspense and mystery with a hint of romance. I will give credit where credit is due and tell you I never saw this story going where it went. At one point, I thought that maybe someone should do a welfare check on Dukey because Devil is so messed up in an awesome way.

Evi doesn’t remember who she is. All she knows is her body is covered in scars that lead her to believe she was abused before she was adopted. As the story continues you see different sides of Evi and her personality. You never know what is real and what is make believe. Devil is the journey of Evi remembering who she is and where she belongs.

Years ago, Max met a girl, he knew she was his person but life would keep them apart. He knows her home life was awful and tries to help. Only for her to be ripped away and never heard from again. 

Her family stained the town with their odd behaviour. What happens when the little girl he once knew shows up at the house across the street from his mother’s? Can he protect her from her past or will he help her put together all the pieces?

This isn’t a love story. It’s dark and twisted. The way Dukey wrote I was captivated. 


This may not be a love story but it had some killer quotes, here are a couple that I liked;

“I want to pull a little of peace of heaven down just for you so you feel the beauty in the world,” he whispers.

“My soul has known yours before we were put here on Earth and it will love you long after we leave it. Whether you stay with me or leave me to go back to your life, I’ll find you again. I promise.”


Star Ratings:
Plot- 4/5
Characters- 5/5
Heat- 3/5
Writing style- 5/5
Overall- 4/5




No comments:

Post a Comment