Tuesday, August 26, 2014

Review - Shhh... Mack's Side - Jettie Woodruff




I was incredibly lucky to receive an ARC of both sides of this story. 
I chose to read Mack's side first, as I was told the story unraveled easier if Mack was read first. I knew a little from the synopsis, about what was happening with this collaboration, but not a great deal. So I was going in to this first part of the dual POV, with not a huge amount of info. Which is how I love it. I purposely ignored any reviews already done before mine, so I wouldn't read anything that would spoil this.
I'm not going to ruin it for anybody else either, so there will be no spoilers or anything that may give bits away in my review.
Basically, we have 2 best friends. Mackenzie and Gianna, (Mack & Gia) who grew up together and were inseparable. Their parents had always been best friends, and eventually moved next door to each other, so Mack and Gia inevitably did everything together as they grew up.
It was obvious that Gia is the dominant friend right from the start. Mack, generally goes along with most things Gia suggests. They are both gorgeous girls who excel in dancing and are popular with the boys. Yet, that's just what everyone thinks, it's the face put on their friendship. Underneath all that is a totally different story. A story with a lot of hidden truths, twisted lies and lots of darkness.
Mack's side starts when she is in her mid 20's. For some reason Gia and her have drifted apart and haven't seen each other in years. Since they left school. It's apparent something happened with them at the end of school. We get hints and clues but not the whole story. What happened to them that day, has had repercussions on their entire adult life since then. Also, not just their lives were affected, others were involved and subsequently had their life turned upside down by the situation too. 
Mack is quite the character, interesting and unique. I really don't want to spoil anything about this incredible story by saying too much about each of the characters background. I loved Mack, although I felt so sorry for her most of the time, I also found her to have amazing strength in surprising situations. Through Mack I learnt so much about the way in which the mind can work. Obviously this was also down to the incredible writing of Jettie Woodruff. This was my first book of hers and her style was so brutal and honest. Nothing left to the imagination, just the way I like it. After following Mack's story and being inside her head. I can't wait to read her other books. 
The small parts we see of Gia, she is portrayed to be quite manipulative and devious. Wrapping Mack around her finger, getting her to do her bidding, yet as this was Mack's POV, who knows what is true and real. I have Gia's side to read next and it could shed a completely different light on their friendship. The way in which the story is written and the fact that Mack's POV isn't always clear, it's hard to know what to make of Gia and the past. Which is brilliant, as it leaves you still questioning everything, long after finishing reading. All the parts buzzing around in your brain. 
I knew these two books would have some dark and twisted parts that would shock and surprise me. Something that I immensely enjoy while reading. I wasn't disappointed, there was enough of the dark stuff to keep me thoroughly entertained, yet because Mack's POV was up and down with reality and imagination, it was hard to know when to expect the dark to wind it's way through, and just how much and what exactly we would see, was impossible to guess at. It kept me on edge throughout the entire book. Add that to all the secrets and lies that are the backbone of the girls lives, and you have a compelling and intriguing story, that won't fail to entertain. 
The one thing that surprised me the most, was the ending. I really wasn't expecting such a satisfying ending. I actually have no clue what exactly I was expecting, but I didn't think it would be concluded so perfectly. There couldn't of been a better ending. It just finished off the tale of dark, twisted lies and secrets in a fantastic way. 
Again, I was crazy lucky to have got ARC's of both the sides of this incredible story. Mack's version was amazing. Can't wait for Gia! 
5 Stars!

No comments:

Post a Comment