Wednesday, October 21, 2015

REVIEW - Game On - Katie McCoy



TITLE - Game On


AUTHOR - Katie McCoy



Synopsis:



Rule of reporting 101-- don't bang your subject.

Sophie Hall has just gotten the opportunity of a lifetime--to profile Nathan Ryder, the hottest baseball player since A-Rod, for her first solo assignment as a reporter. Rumor has it Nathan is going to be drafted to the Major league, and yet he still fits an intense training regime around volunteering at a animal shelter. He's a prodigy with a heart of gold, as American as apple pie and has an ass that deserves a trophy all its own. He may be the country's heartthrob, but Sophie isn't going to fall for that. She just has to remain objective and cover the story.

But she didn't bet on Nathan's gorgeous green eyes or the way his arms flex with muscle when he's holding a bat. And she certainly didn't think he'd be witty and smart and caring. Nathan is completely untouchable, but she can't help it if those lingering gazes turn into something more. How could she not fall at the thought of the hottest guy she's ever met devoting his limited free time to saving kittens?

When Sophie's scoop turns into Nathan's scandal, Nathan needs her more than ever. With both of their careers on the line will they strike out - or hit a home run?
 





My Review:


Game On is a story about an upcoming baseball star and a reporter looking for a story. This story contains humor, romance, and some heart break and humiliation as well. While the main plot focuses on the romance, this is also a story of finding friendships. One moment can be a catalyst that sets two people on the road they are meant to be on.

This story follows Nathan and Sophie. Sophie is a reporter trying to prove herself to her employer. She is one of very few women in an office full of men who think women are for fetching coffee and doing grunt work. She is sent on an assignment to get an exclusive interview with upcoming baseball star, Nathan Ryder. There is only one tiny problem.

Nathan is just a young kid that happens to be an amazing pitcher. He says away from spotlight and hates talking about himself. He usually refuses to do interviews, but has agreed to meet with a reporter from his home town. When he meets Sophie, he thinks she's a typical reporter. Will he find that there's more to her?

This story is told from Sophie's point of view only. We are only able to see how she's feeling or perceiving Nathan is. It is nice to see how she is seeing Nathan and why she's making the decision she makes. With that being said,i think this story would be even better by including Nathan's point of view, I think it would add another dimension that would significantly add to the story.

This book centers around Nathan, who is a baseball star. While the main plot it romantic, I think that baseball is a subject that should be well represented. I do not feel this is the case. While the plot and the story were good and I enjoyed it, I felt that the baseball aspect was lost. Adding a couple more baseball scenes and using some more terminology would fix this in my opinion.

I did really enjoy watching Sophie develop. Her interactions with all the characters revealed a lot about her personality and character. I really loved watching her firm a friendship with Mandy. Women have a hard time getting along, so it was nice to see her be able to relate to a girl who I think is a lot like her. I think this friendship added a lot to the story and helped show Sophie developing.

Overall, I did enjoy this book, but felt it was lacking. I would recommend this to my friends who like romance novels. I would not recommend this to my friends who like sports romance, especially baseball fans. Due to this, I had to rate lower.



Favourite Quotes:

“Never let go, Rose,” he intoned, doing a pretty decent Leonardo DiCaprio impression.
I couldn’t resist a laugh. “I’ll never let go, Jack,” I told him, doing the best Kate Winslet I could muster.
Sophie and Narhan, Game On

“Well.” She eyed the field, a playful twinkle in the past, though I’ve heard from some of the guys that it’s been a while since he’s had any good interviews.” Mandy, Game On

“Girls are better at everything,” I told her, giving her a wink. “Boys are only good for one thing, really. And even that can be dealt with if you get the right vibrator.” Sophie, Game On





Star Ratings:
Plot: 3/5
Characters: 4/5
Heat: 5/5
Writing style: 3/5
Overall: 3/5





No comments:

Post a Comment