Monday, October 5, 2015

REVIEW - Get Rocked - KE Osborn





TITLE - Get Rocked?

(The Next Generation Series #2)

AUTHOR - KE Osborn








SYNOPSIS:


SPOILER ALERT - If you haven't read Get Your Rocks Off? and you want to please do NOT continue reading as it contains spoilers. 

___________________________________________________

This book is for mature audiences 18+ 

It contains explicit language, drug use and sexual content.


Being a seven-year-old child of poverty and living with a single mother, not to mention being terminally ill, would be a challenge for anyone. Caleb McCormack grew up not knowing who his father was. His mother never talked about him, until he became so ill that he needed a kidney transplant. That’s when his world was turned upside down. 

Caleb was thrust into a new world full of wealth and status. A life he never knew existed, one he had only dreamed of. Caleb’s father was not only rich, but incredibly famous. So famous, that all the world knew his name. Caleb is the love child of Huxley Slade, the backing guitarist for the world’s most famous rock band Slayed. 

Fast forward through a changed life. Hux and Caleb’s mother reconnected and married, giving Caleb a new life full of endless possibilities. But through it all was his one constant. Indi Malone. She was with him from the beginning, from rags to riches as it were and their love would know no bounds or so you would think? 

Indi’s past is a harrowing ordeal in itself, and when Caleb forms his own band Staked and is thrust into the spotlight, will her past demons haunt their love forever? Or will they make it through the inferno and into their happy ever after?


My Review:



Get Rocked is the second book in the Next Generation series. The Next Generation Series is about the children of the characters from the Rock God series. This book can be read as a standalone book, but would be better enjoyed by reading the first book in the series. I have not read the Rock God series so I cannot comment on if this book would be better after reading that series as well.

Get Rocked follows Caleb, the lead singer of the band Staked, as he navigates through life. The story is told from both Caleb and his best friend, Indie’s pov. The story is told as a narrative with some dialog intertwined. This story is also told over many years with some time jumps.

Personally, I liked the writing style in this book. I liked how the story was told as a narrative at times and then included specific scenes at other times. I also liked the alternating pov. I love being able to tell what each character is thinking. I also like that the reader is able to then see the intention behind actions and how they are perceived by the other character. I think this adds a layer to the story that you do not normally get with a one pov story. I also enjoyed that I felt the book was being played out like a movie in my head. I could actually picture the scenes in my head being narrated. I think this eliminated some of the smaller details that sometimes feel unnecessary.

Due to the fact that I read the first book, I had an easier time with the time jumps in this book. I did not get as confused since I also knew some of the backstory from the first book in the series, which is told as a parallel to this book. What I love most is that since I read the first book, I was able to see scenes that included Caleb in the first book be played out in this book. I am also able to see his reactions and how it made him feel.

I think the author did a good job developing the characters as well. I think that the author was brave by including topics that are serious and dark. Indie and Caleb both have things in their past that haunt them and cause them pain. Life is never easy and I think the author did a good job at showing how some deep rooted issues can cause a domino effect in all the friendships and relationships in a person’s life. This is a realistic aspect of the story that I really enjoyed.

The only things that bothered me about this book was the time jumps not being labeled clearly. Also, it was hard for me to read the title of the chapters so I wasn’t always sure whose pov I was reading. These are both just minor things that did not affect the story overall for me though. Overall, I really enjoyed this story and would absolutely recommend a friend to read it.

Favorite Quote:
“I’ll never get fat, and if I do you’d love me anyway.” - Indie



Star Ratings:
Plot = 5/5
Characters = 5/5
Heat = 4/5
Writing Style = 4/5
Overall Rating = 4/5







CLICK ON COVER TO PURCHASE:



No comments:

Post a Comment