Wednesday, March 4, 2015

Review - The Resurrection of Aubrey Miller - L.B. Simmons

Death.

For some, it's simply one of life's certainties, nothing more. For others, it's merely a fleeting thought, one often overshadowed by the reckless delusion that they have been blessed with the gift of immortality.

For Aubrey Miller, death is the definition of her very existence. Overcome with the guilt resulting from the loss of her beloved family, she alters her appearance from the once beautiful, blonde-haired, blue-eyed little girl to that of one shrouded in complete darkness, enveloping herself in her own unbreakable fortress of solitude as a form of protection for others.

As she enters her first year of college, her goal is simple: Earn a degree with the least amount of social interaction as possible. What she never anticipates is the formation of very unlikely relationships with two people who will change her life in ways she never believed possible: Quinn Matthews, the boisterous former pageant queen, and Kaeleb McMadden, a childhood friend from her past who never really let her go.

Over the years, as their connections intertwine and grow, a seemingly indestructible bond is formed between the three...

But when death painfully reemerges, Aubrey is lost once again, burying herself deeper than ever before inside the familiar fortification of her fears.

Will the refuge of friendship, the solidarity of life-long bonds, and the power of unconditional love be enough to do the impossible?

Will they be enough to finally bring about...

The Resurrection of Aubrey Miller?


****Standalone NA Contemporary Romance/HEA****




My Review:


I'm still sat here sniffing, and wiping ugly leakage, after finishing this amazing book.
Usually I wait a while after an ugly cry book, before I write my review, but I wanted to write this one while it's still fresh in my mind.
This book was just wow, an amazingly beautiful and heart wrenching tale, of love, loss, sadness, self discovery, awakening, so many different emotions and factors going on in this book.
At this point, I would summarise this story, a bit of background of the characters and what happens, but it's practically impossible to summarise this story, without destroying the reading experience for someone going in blind. You need to know nothing, and be open to whatever is thrown at you. 

"this is my story – my fight to emerge from underneath the shroud of death that I was fearfully hiding behind for so many years.”


What I can say about this book is that, it was told in the most incredible style of writing. Beautiful and profound, with so many different messages being conveyed, I walked away evaluating so many aspects of my own life. It had that much of an effect on me. It's not often that you come across a book, that you know holds so much meaning, and will impact on people in completely different ways to yourself. You come away feeling a mix of numb and fuzzy at the same time. (Yes, incredibly odd description, I know) It wasn't just a perfect story though, it was the incredible combination, of characters who were so beautiful inside and out, but not in the obvious, fake way. The sort of characters, that you were sad to finish their story, I wanted to know what happened further down the line. Mixed with the kind of writing, that felt like you were not only reading the story, but watching it too. The visual I had from the words were beautiful, even when it was breathtakingly sad. 

"The simplicity of living astounds me. But it's the terror of death that devours me."


For all the elements of this book, there was romance, and a love story to beat even the best love stories. A love that has most definitely stood the test of time, heartache, even when not reciprocated. It will make you sigh, cry, laugh, and dream all at once. It was like the story was a definition of soul mates and true love. Perfect!

"I'll help you get lost anytime, Sunshine. The only deal is you have to promise to come back. I never want to lose you again."


There is not one part of this book, that I could fault. There are so many messages contained within the story, and will easily have something that speaks to everyone. Something that will touch a part of all that read this. 
Yes, I did find myself crying continuously at one point, but I did find myself crying, happy tears by the end. Which is such a huge relief! But, I also found myself crazy laughing quite a fair bit too, the humour shared between the main characters was hilarious at times. Feel good laughing. 

There is some devastating, and very delicate issues that are addressed in this book, but I thought they were dealt with well, and resolved perfectly. I'm such a sucker for a happy ever after, and this book has one of the best happy ever afters!! 

5 huge stars.

**I was given a copy of this book, in exchange for a fair and honest review**





LINKS:


Goodreads - http://bit.ly/1jWaRDc
Amazon UK - http://amzn.to/1aLiTjU
Amazon US - http://amzn.to/1B6nDcg

No comments:

Post a Comment